Aadhar to bring transparency in welfare schemes: PMAugust 15th, 2012 - 11:14 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 15 (IANS) The government wanted to create a system through which money from central welfare schemes could be credited directly into bank accounts of beneficiaries and would utilise the unique identification number Aadhar scheme for this, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said Wednesday.
“We want to create a system in which money from government schemes - pension for old people, scholarship for students and wages for labourers - can be credited directly into people’s bank accounts. This would reduce inconvenience to the beneficiaries, make it easy for them to receive payment and increase transparency,” the prime minister said while addressing the nation on Independence Day.
He said the Aadhar scheme, which gives a unique identification number, was being utilised for this.
“We will take help from the Aadhar scheme under which about 20 crore people have been registered so far.”
The government believes this identification scheme would help it ensure that benefit of welfare schemes reaches only genuine beneficiaries.
- Pension of Rs.200 an insult to dignity, says Jairam - May 20, 2012
- 'Use of IT for subsidy transfers to drive industry growth' - Mar 17, 2012
- Text of Prime Minister's Independence Day speech - Aug 15, 2012
- Centre launches unique identification number in Tripura - Dec 13, 2010
- Haryana officials to face action for delaying pensions - Jul 01, 2011
- Aadhaar to pilot pensions, wages in 50 districts, says Ramesh - Jul 01, 2012
- 'Pay subsidies directly to beneficiaries to plug leaks' - Feb 24, 2012
- Tamil Nadu to expand biometric smart card-based pension scheme - Jan 21, 2012
- 32 Haryana officials booked for lapses - Jul 03, 2011
- Educational aid for poor: BJP to raise issue in parliament - Aug 18, 2012
- One mn Indians to be enrolled per day for unique identity - Jun 23, 2011
- Corporation Bank signs MoU with UIDAI - Aug 05, 2010
- UID to benefit common people: Manmohan (Lead) - Sep 29, 2010
- Cash subsidies for cooking gas, kerosene, fertilisers - Jul 05, 2011
- Haryana pensions through electronic transfer soon - May 10, 2011
Tags: bank accounts, beneficiaries, benefit, government schemes, inconvenience, independence day, manmohan, manmohan singh, money, New Delhi, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, scholarship, transparency, wages, welfare schemes