A tribal should occupy Raisina Hill: Naveen PatnaikJune 21st, 2012 - 11:35 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, June 21 (IANS) Welcoming the Bharatiya Janata Party’s decision to support former Lok Sabha speaker P.A. Sangma’s candidature in the presidential poll, Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik Thursday said a tribal should go to the Raisina Hill.
Patnaik who was the first to announce the name of Sangma two months ago, said other political parties should also come forward and extend their support to him in the July 19 poll.
“After so many decades of India’s independence, a tribal should go to the Raisina Hill. All parties should support Sangma,” Patnaik told reporters in the temple town of Puri, about 56 km here, where he had gone to witness the chariot festival of Lord Jagannath.
Patnaik, who is also the chief of the state’s ruling Biju Janata Dal, in May proposed the name of Sangma after holding discussion with Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J. Jayalalithaa.
- BJD to continue supporting Sangma for presidency (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Jayalalithaa urges parties to support Sangma - May 18, 2012
- BJD to continue supporting Sangma for presidency - Jun 16, 2012
- I'm very much in the presidential race: Sangma - Jun 14, 2012
- Naveen Patnaik is Sangma's proposer for president's poll (Lead) - Jun 26, 2012
- Jayalalithaa supports Sangma for president's post - May 17, 2012
- Congress, BJD trade charges over presidential election - Jul 01, 2012
- Patnaik leaves for Delhi to back Sangma - Jun 27, 2012
- Jayalalithaa hails BJP support for Sangma - Jun 21, 2012
- Presidential poll: Jayalalithaa garners support for Sangma - May 20, 2012
- Mayawati silent on Sangma's bid at presidency - May 19, 2012
- Sangma quits NCP, set to take on Pranab (Roundup) - Jun 20, 2012
- Presidential election: Sangma's son meets Patnaik - Jun 26, 2012
- Sangma seeks support, not many takers (Lead) - May 22, 2012
- BJD backs Sangma for president - May 17, 2012
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bhubaneswar, candidature, chariot, chief minister, decades, India, j jayalalithaa, june 21, Lok Sabha, lord jagannath, naveen patnaik, political parties, presidential poll, puri, raisina hill, tamil nadu, temple town