A tale of two union ministersMay 24th, 2012 - 8:00 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, May 24 (IANS) They both belong to Shimla and are union cabinet ministers but when it comes to begging for votes for their Congress party, they belong to differing camps.
While Virbhadra Singh has no qualms about folding his hands and bowing his head before the commoners to seek votes for the party in the Shimla Municipal Corporation elections, scheduled May 27, his colleague, Commerce and Industry Minister Anand Sharma believes “it’s too lousy a job for a central minister”.
Taking a jibe at Sharma here Thursday, Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises Minister Virbhadra Singh said: “I am a worker of the Congress party.” To seek vote, Singh even addressed party meetings here Thursday.
“I am a senior minister. My rank in the cabinet is seventh. I have no ego at all. I am a (party) worker first, then an MP and then a minister,” Singh told reporters.
His supplicant’s posture came when he was asked about Sharma’s assertion before the reporters a day earlier that canvassing in civic body elections doesn’t behove the central ministers.
The five-time chief minister and a five-time MP, Virbhadra Singh said: “I am a grassroots worker. I have risen from the ground and my roots are still firmly stuck here.”
Sharma told reporters here Wednesday “it does not behove a union minister to go for a campaign in the municipal elections”.
Contrary to him, Singh said: “I am here for canvassing. There is no ban on a union minister to canvass. Moreover, the elections are being held on the party symbol.”
Sharma, who was on a daylong visit, did not address any public meeting in the town but he tried to convey the message that the Congress would protect the interests of the people. Singh had entered the Lok Sabha in 1962.
- Virbhadra accuses Dhumal of vindictiveness - Jul 01, 2012
- Shimla polls: Stakes high for BJP, Congress - May 25, 2012
- Virbhadra Singh is Himachal Congress chief - Aug 26, 2012
- Virbhadra moves to grab reins of power (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Apr 15, 2012
- Announce chief minister candidates early: Virbhadra - Apr 10, 2012
- Virbhadra determined to steer assembly poll (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Aug 03, 2012
- Virbhadra Singh turns 77, celebrations in Shimla - Jun 23, 2011
- Himachal Congress tries to put house in order (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Apr 28, 2012
- Setback for Virbhadra in Himachal poll arena? (News Analysis) - Jun 26, 2012
- Virbhadra asks states to reduce sales tax on petrol - May 24, 2012
- Virbhadra Singh seeks speedy trial in graft case - Sep 07, 2012
- It's homecoming for Virbhadra Singh (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Jun 29, 2012
- Monica Bharti new Himachal Youth Congress chief - Apr 21, 2012
- No question of quitting Congress: Virbhadra - Aug 01, 2012
- Virbhadra not to contest next Lok Sabha elections - Jun 18, 2011
Tags: anand sharma, asian news, cabinet ministers, chief minister, civic body, commoners, congress party, industry minister, Lok Sabha, municipal elections, party meetings, party symbol, qualms, saz, senior minister, small and medium enterprises, union cabinet, union minister, union ministers, virbhadra singh