A new house for Khaleda ZiaDecember 14th, 2010 - 3:04 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, Dec 14 (IANS) Former Bangladesh prime minister Khaleda Zia is to move into a seven-bedroom house in a swank diplomatic area here, her aides said a month after the government evicted her from her Dhaka Cantonment residence where she had lived for almost 40 years.She will move into the Gulshan area on the first day of the New Year.
Zia has visited the duplex house several times, one of her aides told The Daily Star.
It is located opposite the Russian Embassy and has many foreign missions close by, The Daily Star said Tuesday.
The Sheikh Hasina government had evicted Zia Nov 13 from the government house in Dhaka Cantonment where she had lived since 1972 and even as two-term prime minister.
The high court and later the apex court upheld her eviction, which caused much political acrimony and two dawn-to-dusk strikes.
The government said that Zia had manipulated the allotment and that the site where the house stood was needed to build multi-storeyed homes for the families of army officers who were killed in a border guards mutiny in February last year.
- Bangladesh apex court upholds Zia's eviction - Nov 29, 2010
- Hasina decries opposition's strike call - Nov 28, 2010
- Khaleda Zia evicted from home (Lead) - Nov 13, 2010
- Sporadic violence marks opposition strike in Bangladesh (Lead) - Nov 30, 2010
- Bangladesh's former PM evicted amid protests (Fourth Lead) - Nov 13, 2010
- Khaleda Zia evicted from home - Nov 13, 2010
- Bangladesh opposition enforces dawn-to-dusk strike - Nov 30, 2010
- Strike in Bangladesh over Khaleda Zia's eviction - Nov 14, 2010
- Stray violence marks nationwide Bangladesh strike (Lead) - Nov 14, 2010
- Khaleda Zia put under house arrest, says Bangladesh opposition (Second Lead) - Nov 13, 2010
- Zia firm over strike despite losing apex court appeal (Lead) - Nov 29, 2010
- Corruption evidence against Zia, says anti-graft body - Nov 23, 2010
- 'No tickets', so Khaleda Zia skips World Cup opening - Feb 18, 2011
- Khaleda threatens agitation against Hasina government - Nov 18, 2010
- Opposition steps up stir against Bangladeshi PM - Feb 07, 2011
Tags: acrimony, aides, allotment, apex court, army officers, border guards, cantonment, daily star, dawn to dusk, dhaka, diplomatic area, duplex house, eviction, foreign missions, government house, khaleda zia, mutiny, prime minister khaleda, russian embassy, sheikh hasina