A Maharashtrian should get a chance to become PM: PawarMarch 13th, 2009 - 3:56 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, March 13 (IANS) It is time for a Maharashtrian to get a stab at the prime minister’s chair, Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) chief Sharad Pawar said Friday.
“There is a feeling among the people of this state (Maharashtra) that a number of states got opportunity like Andhra, Gujarat, Karnataka (to occupy the prime minister’s office). So Maharashtra should get opportunity as well,” Pawar told a TV channel.
That was, however, contingent on the party having enough parliamentarians.
“One should not think of becoming prime minister when you are contesting from limited number of seats. If my party is contesting hardly 30-35 seats in the entire country, how can anybody expect that he (the leader) can take the responsibility to lead the…nation with such a small number,” Pawar said.
Pawar’s NCP is an important ally of the ruling Congress led United Progressive Alliance (UPA). Talks for a pre-poll alliance in Maharashtra for the upcoming Lok Sabha election between Congress and NCP are going on.
- Pawar meets Sonia to discuss 'coalition issues' - Jul 20, 2012
- Unhappy Pawar, Patel offer to quit (Second Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Maharashtrian should get a chance to become PM: Pawar - Mar 13, 2009
- NCP skips cabinet meeting over 'problems' (Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Congress, NCP ally to dislodge saffron combine from BMC - Jan 11, 2012
- Congress tries hard to mollify NCP, Pawar unswayed (Intro Roundup) - Jul 21, 2012
- Congress, NCP working towards pre-poll alliance in Goa - Nov 09, 2011
- Ready to talk to NCP: Manmohan Singh - Jul 25, 2012
- Want early decision on BMC polls: NCP - Jan 09, 2012
- NCP cautions Sangma, says he will withdraw (Second Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Congress, NCP stand-off ends with decision on better coordination (Roundup) - Jul 25, 2012
- NCP to stay in UPA but attend no function, skips PM's dinner (Roundup) - Jul 23, 2012
- After Mamata, Pawar headache for Congress - Jan 09, 2012
- Ajit Pawar will be Maharashtra deputy chief minister - Nov 10, 2010
- No question of resignation: Praful Patel - Jul 20, 2012
Tags: ally, gujarat, lok sabha election, maharashtra, maharashtrian, mumbai, nationalist congress party, ncp, number of states, parliamentarians, poll alliance, prime minister, progressive alliance, sharad pawar, stab, tv channel