800 men carried out Syria’s Houla massacreMay 31st, 2012 - 11:45 pm ICT by IANS
Damascus, May 31 (IANS) The head of an inquiry committee into a massacre in Syria’s Houla village has said preliminary investigations indicate that about 800 heavily armed men carried out the attacks on government forces and slaughtered families in Houla.
Attacks in Houla, a group of villages 25 km from Homs city, claimed the lives of over 108 people, which included at least 49 children under the age of 10 and 32 women.
Addressing a press conference to announce the initial assessments, Brigadier General Qasem Jamal Sulaiman said Thursday that the armed groups attacked several posts of the government troops that responded in self-defence, Xinhua reported.
He said the targeted families were peaceful ones who neither have participated in any anti-government activities nor took up arms against the government.
Stressing that “these are only initial assessment,” Sulaiman added that “the initial reports were based on testimonies from eye witnesses.”
He claimed that most of the dead bodies shown on TV footage belonged to the armed men, who were killed in the clashes with government troops.
Syrian Foreign Ministry spokesman Jihad Makdissi said that his government has asked the head of the UN supervision mission in Syria to examine the massacre site.
The final reports will be submitted to the international community once available, he added.
- Anti-government gangs blamed for Syria massacre - Jun 01, 2012
- UNSC calls emergency meet on Syria massacre - May 28, 2012
- UN rights resolution on Syria beyond mandate: Russia - Jun 03, 2012
- Fresh Syria massacre was planned terror: Syrian envoy - Jun 07, 2012
- Significant devastation in Syria's Homs: UN official - Mar 09, 2012
- Russia calls for probe into Syrian massacre - May 30, 2012
- Around 90 killed in fresh massacre in Syria: Report (Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
- Annan admits failure of Syrian peace mission - Jul 08, 2012
- Syria to use chemical weapons against foreign attack - Jul 23, 2012
- Russia warns against hasty conclusions on Syria massacre - Jun 01, 2012
- Syria on brink of foreign instigated war: Assad - Jun 03, 2012
- Syria: UN says military operation in Tremseh targeted activists - Jul 16, 2012
- UN concerned over Syria violence escalation - Jun 13, 2012
- No hostility for Turkey: Syria (Lead) - Jun 24, 2012
- Six killed in firing on protesters in Syria - Jun 25, 2011
Tags: brigadier general, clashes, damascus, dead bodies, eye witnesses, foreign ministry spokesman, government activities, government forces, government troops, houla, initial assessment, initial assessments, initial reports, inquiry committee, jamal sulaiman, jihad, peaceful ones, self defence, tv footage, xinhua