‘UPA government pursuing Vatican agenda on Ram Setu’July 24th, 2008 - 6:31 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, July 24 (IANS) The United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government was out to push the Vatican agenda on the Ram Setu issue, Punjab Medical Education Minister Tikshan Sud said here Thursday. The UPA government had no sanctity in submitting the affidavit on a sensitive issue like Ram Setu as it was standing on the crutches of illegally cast votes in the parliament, Sud said in a statement here.
Sud, a Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader, said the UPA, headed by an Italian-born Catholic lady was out to push the Vatican agenda by degrading Lord Rama and his religious and mythological symbols, hurting the feelings of billions of people having faith in Hindu religion.
He said the UPA government was already on a political ventilator, surviving on oxygen provided by illegally cast votes by defected MPs.
“The UPA government has no legal and constitutional right to take any major policy decision, especially those hurting the feelings of majority of Indian population,” Sud said.
Warning the government against playing with the religious sentiments of Hindus on the Ram Setu issue, the BJP leader said any action by the government affecting the holy structure of Ram Setu would be resisted by Hindus and they would intensify nationwide agitation to scuttle “this Christian conspiracy”.
He said that by issuing contradictory affidavit on this historic and mythological fact, the UPA government was trying to create confusion in the minds of Hindus, under a well-planned strategy and this would not be allowed.
Sud urged President Pratibha Patil to intervene and dismiss the “unconstitutional” UPA government and order fresh general elections. He said the UPA was inflicting damage to the country’s social and religious fabric.
The Sethusamudram Shipping Channel Corporation was constructing a shorter shipping channel cutting across Ram Setu or Adam’s Bridge in the Palk Strait, separating India and Sri Lanka.
- Complete Sethusamudram project at earliest: DMK - Mar 29, 2012
- SC gives more time to centre on Palk Strait channel - Sep 03, 2012
- Centre shies from naming Rama Sethu a national monument - Apr 19, 2012
- CPI-M youth wing strikes for implementation of Sethusamudram canal - Feb 12, 2010
- New alignment of Sethusamudram not feasible, court told (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- Government hurting Hindu sentiments on Ram Setu: BJP (Lead) - Oct 15, 2008
- Quickly build Sethusamudram canal, says CPI-M (Lead) - Feb 12, 2010
- Government plans environmental study of Sethusamudram channel - Jan 14, 2010
- Declare Ram Sethu a national monument: Jayalalithaa - Mar 28, 2012
- Can Rama Sethu be made national monument, asks apex court - Mar 27, 2012
- Sethusamudram canal work will be stopped, says Rajnath Singh - Apr 20, 2009
- Ram Setu not integral to Hinduism, government tells apex court - Oct 14, 2008
- New alignment of Sethusamudram not feasible, court told - Jul 02, 2012
- Punjab allows private architects to clear building plans - Jun 12, 2011
- Congress rule has only brought insult to Hindus: Ashok Singhal - Apr 24, 2009