67 BJP lawmakers bat for YeddyurappaMarch 20th, 2012 - 12:46 am ICT by IANS
Bangalore, March 19 (IANS) A letter signed by 67 of the 120 ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) legislators in Karnataka seeking re-instatement of scam-hit former chief minister B.S. Yeddyurappa has been sent to the BJP national leadership, a minister said here late Monday.
“We have sent to our leaders in Delhi a letter signed by 67 legislators seeking immediate legislature party meeting to elect Yeddyurappa as leader,” Water Resources Minister Basavaraj Bommai told reporters.
The number is three less than Yeddyurappa has been claiming since Sunday when he set a 48-hour deadline for removing his successor D.V. Sadananda Gowda and giving back the chief minister’s post to him.
In related developments, more than 10 BJP parliament members from the state met senior party leader Sushma Swaraj in Delhi demanding immediate re-instatement of Yeddyurappa, who quit over corruption charges July 31 last year.
BJP sources here said that Swaraj has told the delegation that a decision can only be taken collectively by the party central leadership. She reminded them that the decision to seek Yeddyurappa’s resignation following Lokayukta (ombudsman) indicting him over the mining issue in the state was also a collective one, the sources said.
- Crisis in Karnataka BJP worsens - May 10, 2012
- Karnataka BJP leadership tussle reaches breaking point (Second Lead) - Mar 19, 2012
- BJP crisis shadow over Karnataka budget (Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
- Karnataka BJP split wide open (Lead) - Mar 11, 2012
- Seven Karnataka ministers loyal to Yeddyurappa offer to quit - May 12, 2012
- BJP's hard choice on Karnataka leadership: Split or sack (Roundup) - Mar 19, 2012
- Eight Yeddyurappa loyalists quit Karnataka ministry (Second Lead) - Jun 29, 2012
- Karnataka BJP caught in deadline politics - Feb 24, 2012
- Karnataka BJP crisis persists, scene shifts to Delhi (Second Lead) - Jun 30, 2012
- Talks on with Yeddyurappa, says Gadkari (Lead) - Mar 19, 2012
- New crisis hits Karnataka's faction-ridden ruling BJP - Mar 18, 2012
- Leadership tussle hits Karnataka BJP - Mar 08, 2012
- Eight Karnataka ministers quit, demand chief minister's ouster (Third Lead) - Jun 29, 2012
- Yeddyurappa loyalist ministers may quit Karnataka ministry - Jun 29, 2012
- Most Karnataka BJP rebels boycott assembly - Mar 20, 2012
Tags: bangalore, bjp, central leadership, chief minister, corruption charges, delegation, gowda, hour deadline, lawmakers, leader water, legislators, march 19, national leadership, ombudsman, parliament, parliament members, party leader, resignation, swaraj, water resources