60 Minutes: Jimmy Carter Blasts Ted Kennedy on Health CareSeptember 17th, 2010 - 9:50 pm ICT by Angela Kaye Mason
Sep 17 (THAINDIAN NEWS) According to Former President Jimmy Carter, although the late Senator Ted Kennedy was an advocate for Obama’s health-care bill, it was his fault that a decent health care plan was denied to Americans for over thirty years, since Kennedy took action to kill Carter’s own health care bill.
In an interview with ‘60 Minutes’ which will be broadcast on Sunday September 19, at 7pm ET, Carter stated, “The fact is that we would have had comprehensive health care now, had it not been for Ted Kennedy’s deliberately blocking the legislation that I proposed,” he told corespondent Lesley Stahl. “It was his fault. Ted Kennedy killed the bill.”
Carter went on to explain that Kennedy did it just to spite Carter, whom he had ran against for the presidency. “He did not want to see me have a major success in that realm of life,” he explained.
And the current state of health care is not the only current issue which Carter blamed on the late Senator. The former president also told Stahl of his energy conservation program which lowered America’s independence on foreign oil by half at the time. “Unfortunately, now we’re probably importing 12 million barrels a day, since part of my energy policies were abandoned,” he stated.
But it was not only Kennedy that Jimmy Carter spoke out against. He also had grievances to voice about the well loved Late Former President Ronald Reagan. He complained to Stahl about Reagan taking down the solar panels which Carter had installed. “[Reagan] wanted to show that America was a great nation. So great that we didn’t have to limit the enjoyment of life.”
- Jimmy Carter slams Ted Kennedy on health care issues - Sep 17, 2010
- Vicki Kennedy Thanks Democrats For Passage Of Health Care Reform Bill - Mar 23, 2010
- Romney's comment of 'hanging Obama' sparks controversy - May 01, 2011
- Ted Kennedy greatest legislature: Obama - Aug 31, 2009
- Kennedy's funeral to be attended by five US presidents - Aug 28, 2009
- Kennedy eulogised at final farewell - Aug 30, 2009
- FBI Files Divulge Death Threats On Ted Kennedy - Jun 15, 2010
- Statement by Bill Clinton on the passing of Senator Ted Kennedy - Aug 27, 2009
- Obama's approval rating continues to dip as US nears midterm elections - Aug 07, 2010
- Obama mourns death of 'greatest legislator of our time' - Aug 30, 2009
- Tabloid blanked Ted Kennedy's sexcapades for gossip on Jackie Onassis - Oct 11, 2010
- Ted Kennedy dies of brain cancer aged 77 (Part-I) - Aug 26, 2009
- Republican wins Senate seat held by Ted Kennedy (Lead) - Jan 20, 2010
- Universal health coverage close to reality: Obama - Dec 24, 2009
- Senator Edward Kennedy's death ends `historic' US chapter (Roundup) - Aug 26, 2009
Tags: bill carter, comprehensive health care, corespondent, decent health care, energy conservation program, energy policies, former president jimmy carter, former president ronald reagan, health care bill, health care plan, jimmy carter, late former president, lesley stahl, obama, own health care, president jimmy carter, president ronald reagan, ronald reagan, senator ted kennedy, ted kennedy