59 new ministers to be sworn in Thursday (Second Lead)May 27th, 2009 - 5:19 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 27 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh is set to lead a 78-member council of ministers, including 33 cabinet ministers and 45 ministers of state, in his second term as head of the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government in India. The outgoing government also had 78 ministers.
While 19 cabinet ministers had been sworn in last week Friday, 14 more will take oath Thursday morning along with 45 ministers of state, seven of whom will hold independent charge.
The new cabinet ministers include three former chief ministers — Virbhadra Singh (Himachal Pradesh), Vilasrao Deshmukh (Maharashtra) and Farooq Abdullah (Jammu and Kashmir). Three leaders from the DMK, the Congress’ allies in Tamil Nadu, also find place — Dayanidhi Maran, M.K. Azhagari and A. Raja.
The others are the Congress’ Mallikarjun Kharge, Kumari Selja, Subodh Kant Sahay, M.S. Gill, G.K. Vasan, Pawan Kumar Bansal, Mukul Wasnik and Kantilal Bhuria.
The ministers with independent charge are Praful Patel of the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) and the Congress’ Prithviraj Chavan, Sriprakash Jaiswal, Salman Khurshid, Jairam Ramesh, Krishna Tirath and Dinsha Patel.
The 38 ministers of state are E. Ahamed, V. Narayanasamy, Srikant Jena, Mullappally Ramachandran, D. Purandeswari, Panabaka Lakshmi, Ajay Maken, K.H. Muniyappa, Namo Narain Meena, Jyotiraditya Scindia, Jitin Prasad, A. Sai Prathap, Gurudas Kamat, M.M. Pallam Raju, Mahadev Khandela, Harish Rawat, K.V. Thomas, Saugata Ray, Dinesh Trivedi, Sisir Adhikari, Sultan Ahmed, Mukul Roy, Mohan Jatua, S.S. Palanimanickam, D. Napoleon, S. Jagathrakshakan, S. Gandhiselvan, Preneet Kaur, Sachin Pilot, Shashi Tharoor, Bharatsinh Solanki, Tusharbhai Chaudhary, Arun Yadav,
Prateek Prakashbapu Patil, R.P.N. Singh, Vincent Pala, Pradeep Jain and Agatha Sangma.
- The new council of ministers after Wednesday's reshuffle - Jan 19, 2011
- Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's new team - Jul 12, 2011
- Manmohan Singh's 78-member council of ministers finalised (Third Lead) - May 27, 2009
- New ministers in Manmohan Singh's government - May 27, 2009
- Manmohan Singh readies council of ministers, with personal touch (Roundup) - May 27, 2009
- Manmohan Singh readies council of ministers, with personal touch (Intro Roundup) - May 27, 2009
- PM, Sonia Gandhi finalise list of ministers ahead of cabinet expansion - May 27, 2009
- 59 new ministers inducted into Union cabinet - May 28, 2009
- Cabinet expansion today - May 28, 2009
- Council of Ministers represents a bend of experience and energy: PM - May 28, 2009
- 38 ministers take oath in English, 21 in Hindi - May 28, 2009
- Manmohan allocates work to all ministers, wants benchmarks set (Second Lead) - May 29, 2009
- 29 new faces in council of ministers - May 27, 2009
- Congress takes charge of most economic ministries, DMK's Raja gets IT (Lead) - May 29, 2009
- Portfolios of Manmohan Singh cabinet announced - May 28, 2009
Tags: ajay maken, dayanidhi maran, farooq abdullah, gurudas kamat, harish rawat, himachal pradesh, jairam ramesh, jammu and kashmir, manmohan singh, nationalist congress party, new cabinet ministers, outgoing government, pallam raju, pawan kumar, pradeep jain, praful patel, prime minister manmohan singh, sisir, srikant jena, vilasrao deshmukh