57 percent turnout in UP’s fourth phase: Poll panel (Lead)February 19th, 2012 - 10:02 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 19 (IANS) The voter turnout in the fourth phase of Uttar Pradesh’s assembly elections Sunday was recorded at 57 percent, the poll panel said, adding the balloting was peaceful.
“The voter turnout in the fourth phase of Uttar Pradesh’s assembly elections, across 56 constituencies, was recorded at 57 percent,” Deputy Election Commissioner Vinod Zutshi told reporters here.
“This was much higher than 43.84 percent polling in 2007 elections registering an average increase of 32 percent across the 56 constituencies,” he said.
As many as 1.74 crore voters were eligible to caste their ballots in the fourth phase, where the polling percentage was in line with 58.81 percent in phase one on Feb 8, 58.23 percent in phase two on Feb 11 and 57.25 percent in phase three on Feb 15, EC officials said.
Terming the Sunday polls as largely peaceful, the EC officials said polling percentage in many of the 11 districts where balloting took place recorded phenomenal increase as compared to the 2007 elections.
For instance, the polling percentage went up in Lucknow from 35.85 percent in 2007 to 51 percent, in Rae Bareli from 48.29 percent to 59 percent, in Farrukhabad from 44.5 percent to 52 percent, in Pratapgarh from 41 percent to 52 percent, in Kannauj from 47.7 percent to 55 percent and in Unnao from 47.23 percent to 61 percent.
- UP polls' fourth phase also sees high turnout, peaceful balloting (Night Lead) - Feb 19, 2012
- UP voter turnout 60 percent, may rise: Poll panel (Lead) - Feb 08, 2012
- 45 percent voting in Mumbai civic polls (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- Estimated 57 percent turnout in UP third round: Poll panel - Feb 15, 2012
- Voters throng polling centres in UP - Mar 03, 2012
- 59 percent polling in UP - Feb 23, 2012
- 57 percent turnout estimated in UP poll's fourth phase (Evening Lead) - Feb 19, 2012
- UP polls: 60 percent turnout in incident-free 6th round (Intro Roundup) - Feb 28, 2012
- Second phase UP polls: 36 percent higher voting than 2007 - Feb 11, 2012
- All-time high voting in UP, women set new record (Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- Voters queue up early in Mulayam bastion - Feb 23, 2012
- UP polls: 59 percent vote in 5th phase (Intro Roundup) - Feb 23, 2012
- 60 percent turnout in incident-free 6th round of UP poll (Roundup) - Feb 28, 2012
- UP polls: Round 3 ends peacefully, 57-58 percent turnout (Fourth Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- 55 percent voting in Delhi civic polls (Lead) - Apr 16, 2012
Tags: assembly elections, ballots, caste, constituencies, ec, election commissioner, fourth phase, kannauj, lucknow, New Delhi, phase one, phase two, phenomenal increase, poll, polls, pratapgarh, rae bareli, uttar pradesh, vinod, voter turnout