53,000 arrests made in Bengal ahead of pollsApril 8th, 2011 - 11:28 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, April 8 (IANS) Security forces have arrested over 53,000 people and recovered a huge cache of arms and ammunition in the past one month in an effort to ensure smooth conduct of the West Bengal assembly plls, an election official said Friday.
“Besides arresting 53,070 people with criminal records and issuing non-bailable warrants against 30,398 people, the security forces have since March 1 seized a total of 1,457 unlicensed firearms, 2,305 rounds of live cartridges, 8,619 bombs, 605 kg of explosives, 504 gelatin sticks, and 25,393 licensed firearms following numerous raids,” said Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) Sunil Kumar Gupta.
The seizure of arms and ammunitions was made mostly from the North and South 24-Paraganas, Howrah and Hooghly districts, he added.
“In order to ensure free, fair and peaceful elections as well as to encourage voters to exercise their right freely and without fear, we have left no stone unturned,” Gupta said.
Gupta also added that 143 incidences of violence have been reported so far in the state, leaving four people dead and 212 injured.
“The EC is also planning to hold a high level meeting with all the district magistrates and police superintendents to fine tune security measures before the polls,” said Gupta.
- Three arms smugglers held, weapons seized in Bengal - Mar 12, 2011
- Sensex rises 63 points; consumer durable, realty stocks up - Jul 03, 2012
- Bengal's law and order not satisfactory: Poll panel official - Apr 01, 2011
- Security forces unearth Maoist arms dump in Odisha - Sep 11, 2012
- Most firearm deaths in Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Jharkhand: Report - Sep 21, 2011
- Two Maoists arrested, explosives recovered in West Bengal - Sep 25, 2010
- Syria releases over 5,000 prisoners - Jan 23, 2012
- Rs.29 crore in unaccounted cash seized in Punjab - Jan 23, 2012
- 227 guns seized at Russian airports in 2011 - Jan 24, 2012
- Maoist hideout busted in Bengal, arms seized - Feb 03, 2011
- Rape cases against SC and ST women increasing - Mar 13, 2012
- Army moves to seize illegal arms in Kokrajhar - Sep 01, 2012
- Typhoon Haikui affects 1 mn in China - Aug 09, 2012
- Six arms smugglers held in Bengal - Mar 03, 2011
- China busts 600 online criminal gangs - Jul 26, 2012
Tags: ammunition, ammunitions, chief electoral officer, district magistrates, election official, fine tune, firearms, gupta, hooghly, howrah, incidences, peaceful elections, police superintendents, security forces, security measures, seizure, smooth conduct, sunil kumar, warrants, west bengal