50 Sikh protesters march to Sonia house, briefly heldApril 7th, 2009 - 10:20 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 7 (IANS) At least 50 Sikhs were Tuesday briefly detained after they tried to break police barricades and march to Congress president Sonia Gandhi’s residence here to protest the detention of a journalist who chucked a shoe at Home Minister P. Chidambaram.
A large number of Sikhs, including women, gathered at the Jantar Mantar as the news spread of Jarnail Singh hurling a shoe at the minister at a press conference at the Congress party office here.
Raising slogans against Congress leader Jagdish Tytler, around 50 people tried to jump the barricades and march towards Gandhi’s residence.
The protesters thrashed a Tytler dummy with shoes and carried placards saying “Hang Tytler and Sajjan Kumar” and “Why lawbreakers are being made lawmakers?”.
“The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) is shielding Tytler and Kumar at the government’s behest. They are responsible for the killing of innocent Sikhs,” said Sattu Singh, father of Jasvir Singh who is a key witness in a 1984 anti-Sikh riot case.
- BJP demands punishment for guilty in anti-Sikh riots - Nov 03, 2010
- Sikhs protest to demand Rajoana's release - Mar 28, 2012
- Shiromani Akali Dal announces cash award for shoe-throwing journo - Apr 07, 2009
- Sikhs demand death sentence for Sajjan Kumar, Jagdish Tytler - May 05, 2010
- Previous attacks on leaders (To go with: 'Ink attack stuns Ramdev, attacker faces mob fury') - Jan 14, 2012
- 1984 anti-Sikh riots: CBI seeks dismissal of case against Tytler - Jul 24, 2010
- Tytler given clean chit in 1984 anti-Sikh riots case - Apr 27, 2010
- Throwing footwear: A trend to showcase anger - Oct 18, 2011
- Slipper attack on Kalmadi latest in similar assaults - Apr 26, 2011
- Court allows Sajjan Kumar's plea in 1984 riots case - Aug 03, 2012
- 1984 riots: Sajjan Kumar's plea dismissed - Jun 02, 2012
- Anti-Sikh riot victims to protest in Delhi - Nov 09, 2010
- Sajjan claims right to confront witness with proof - May 23, 2012
- Shoe-throwing scribe to release book on anti-Sikh riots - Nov 05, 2009
- Prosecute Tytler, Sajjan for 1984 riots: Sikhs - Apr 09, 2009
Tags: behest, cbi, central bureau of investigation, congress leader, congress party, congress president sonia gandhi, home minister, jagdish tytler, jantar mantar, jarnail singh, key witness, lawmakers, New Delhi, police barricades, protesters, riot, sajjan kumar, sikh, sikhs, slogans