50 percent newcomers, women, youth likely in Congress’ Kerala listMarch 23rd, 2011 - 12:00 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 22 (IANS) The Congress Election Committee (CEC), which met here for the second consecutive day Tuesday to discuss the candidates for the 81 seats it will contest in the Kerala assembly polls, would most likely allot half the seats to newcomers, youth and women, sources said.
“All state leaders have agreed that (party general secretary) Rahul Gandhi’s suggestion of a transition to a new generation of leaders should ne reflected in the list,” a party source told IANS.
The party has already cleared the names of top leaders belonging to various regions and factions, including opposition leader Oommen Chandy and state unit president Ramesh Chennithala, sources said.
K. Muraleedharan, son of veteran leader K. Karunakaran, is also likely to be in the list, which is to be officially released late Tuesday or Wednesday.
The CEC, presided by party chief Sonia Gandhi, is being attended by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Finance Minister Pranab Mukjherjee, Defence Minister A.K. Antony and senior leaders like Mohsina Kidwai, Oscar Fernades and in-charge of Kerala unit Madhusudan Mistry.
Chandy will contest from his traditional Puthuppally seat in Kottayam district, while Chennithala will seek mandate from his home constituency of Harippad in Alappuzha district for the April 13 polls, sources said.
Muraleedharan is likely to be fielded from Vattiyurkavu in Thiruvananthapuram city while former president of National Students Union of India (NSUI), Hiby Eden, will be fielded from Kochi.
- Chennithala, Muraleedharan likely to contest - Mar 09, 2011
- Keep the flock together, Sonia Gandhi tells Kerala leaders - May 25, 2011
- Chandy, Chennithala to name Congress candidates - Mar 12, 2011
- UDF candidates list to be out in a few days: Chennithala - Mar 14, 2011
- Sonia rejigs Congress Working Committee (Lead) - Mar 04, 2011
- Former CPI-M MP applies for Congress membership - May 14, 2010
- Congress readies list of candidates in Kerala - Mar 15, 2011
- Kerala state Congress gears up for revamp - Aug 05, 2012
- Kerala may get a tribal woman minister - May 19, 2011
- Muraleedharan wants to return to Congress, expelled from NCP (Lead) - Jul 31, 2009
- Congress names observers for government formation in Assam, Kerala - May 14, 2011
- Sonia names new working committee, makes changes in key states (Second Lead) - Mar 04, 2011
- Muraleedharan set to return to Congress fold - Feb 15, 2011
- Muraleedharan wants to return to Congress, appeals to Gandhi - Jul 31, 2009
- Congress sets up election panel for Kerala - Mar 09, 2011
Tags: assembly polls, chandy, election committee, fernades, finance minister, home constituency, k karunakaran, kerala assembly, kidwai, manmohan singh, national students, opposition leader, party chief, party source, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rahul gandhi, sonia gandhi, state leaders, veteran leader