5 Railway policemen suspended for assault on BJP MPOctober 5th, 2008 - 6:40 pm ICT by IANS
Bhopal, Oct 5 (IANS) Five Railway Protection Force (RPF) personnel accused of beating up BJP parliamentarian Virendra Kumar Khatik during an anti-encroachment drive in Madhya Pradesh’s Bina town have been suspended, an official said Sunday. “Inspector Vivek Sharma, assistant sub-inspector S.K. Sharma and constables Sudhir, Gokul and Kartar Singh have been suspended, pending inquiry,” RPF Commandant Sarika Mohan told IANS.
On Saturday, they were transferred to police lines.
Khatik was critically injured Friday when a group of RPF personnel surrounded him and caned him in full public view when he tried to stop the demolition of shops illegally built on a railway land in Chhota Bajarial locality in Bina town.
A three-time MP, Khatik received eight stitches on his head after being hit by the policemen, who were angered by stone pelting by a group of shopkeepers affected by the demolition drive.
Director General of Police S.K. Raut Saturday ordered an enquiry into the incident and appointed Inspector General of Police (Railway) Aruna Mohan Rao as the investigating officer.
“On a complaint by the MP’s representative Gopichand Dasani, an attempt to murder case has been registered in Bina Kotwali police station against GRP (Government Railway Police) station house officer S.S. Badgurjar, RPF Commandant Sarika Mohan, RPF inspector Vivek Sharma and four other RPF personnel,” Raut told IANS.
“I have ordered a probe into the incident and asked the inquiry officer to submit the report within three days,” Raut added.
The 54-year-old MP from Sagar was bleeding profusely when he was rushed in an unconscious state Friday to Bhopal’s Hamidia Hospital. His condition was stable, a doctor said Sunday.
- Six policemen charged for assaulting MP, probe ordered (Second Lead) - Oct 04, 2008
- Six policemen booked for assaulting BJP MP (Lead) - Oct 04, 2008
- Six policemen booked, five suspended for beating up BJP MP - Oct 04, 2008
- Three RPF men suspended for torturing guard, probe ordered - Oct 14, 2011
- Five cops suspended for custodial death - Jan 07, 2011
- BJP MP injured in clash between encroachers, police - Oct 03, 2008
- STF to probe murder of senior scribe, family - Feb 19, 2012
- CBI to probe RTI activist's murder in Bhopal - Aug 18, 2011
- Drunk man beaten up by police at railway station - Feb 14, 2012
- Anti-encroachment drive in Bhopal sparks violence - May 21, 2011
- BJP MP, workers arrested for damaging railway property - Feb 27, 2010
- Violence breaks out Bhopal demolition drive, dozens injured (Lead) - May 21, 2011
- High security along Kashmir rail track - Mar 09, 2011
- CBI files case in Bhopal activist's murder - Sep 03, 2011
- BJP leader held for attacking mining inspector - Mar 11, 2012