49 killed in Kyrgyz violenceJune 12th, 2010 - 1:39 pm ICT by IANS
Bishkek, June 12 (IANS/RIA Novosti) At least 49 people have been killed and over 400 injured in the ethnic violence in southern Kyrgyzstan, officials said Saturday, adding that the situation was still tense.
The fighting between Kyrgyz and ethnic Uzbek groups began Thursday night in the country’s second largest city of Osh.
“The situation in Osh remains very difficult,” an interior ministry spokesperson told RIA Novosti.
Osh was the stronghold of former president Kurmanbek Bakiyev, who was overthrown after violent street protests in April.
“We’re clearly talking about a stand-off between two ethnicities. We need toâ¦ calm these people down, and this is what we are doing right now,” interim leader Roza Otunbayeva said.
Medics have been unable to reach many of the injured people due to the fighting.
“Our doctors practically didn’t go out on calls at night because they were afraid,” the 24 kg news agency quoted a doctor in Osh as saying.
He added that doctors who had attempted to reach the injured had been attacked.
The UN has appealed for calm and has called on Kyrgyzstan’s interim government to “pay particular attention to inter-ethnic relations in the country”.
Both Russia and the US have military bases in the country, which many experts fear may now be on the brink of civil war.
- Kyrgyzstan seeks Russian help to control violence (Lead) - Jun 12, 2010
- Toll in Kyrgyz violence rises to 117 - Jun 14, 2010
- Kyrgyz PM Atambayev set to win presidential poll - Oct 31, 2011
- Kyrgyz President Otunbayeva refuses participating in upcoming fall elections - Feb 22, 2011
- Russia owes rent on military bases: Kyrgyz president - Dec 29, 2011
- Moscow turns down Kyrgyzstan's request for help (Second Lead) - Jun 13, 2010
- Kyrgyzstan extends state of emergency to June 25 - Jun 20, 2010
- Kyrgyzstan PM pledges to curb violence - Jun 15, 2010
- Kyrgyzstan court bans 'extremist' rap song - Jul 25, 2012
- Russia to consider military aid for Kyrgyzstan - Jun 14, 2010
- Belarusian embassy in Kyrgyzstan attacked - Aug 29, 2012
- Ethnic rioting in Kyrgyzstan claims 117 lives - Jun 14, 2010
- Belarus refuses to extradite brother of Kyrgyz ex-president - Sep 06, 2012
- Uzbekistan closes border with strife-torn Krygyzstan - Jun 15, 2010
- Kyrgyzstan prepares for Russian troops as toll rises (Lead) - Jun 14, 2010
Tags: brink, ethnic relations, ethnic violence, ethnicities, former president, interim government, interim leader, interior ministry, kg news, kurmanbek bakiyev, medics, military bases, news agency, ria novosti, roza otunbayeva, snb, spokesperson, stronghold, thursday night, violent street protests