49 illegal immigrants arrested in ManipurAugust 31st, 2012 - 11:17 pm ICT by IANS
Imphal, Aug 31 (IANS) Manipur Police Friday arrested six more illegal Bangladeshi immigrants and rounded up over 400 suspected immigrants for verifying their nationalities, police said.
With Friday’s arrest, the number of arrested illegal immigrants in Manipur has gone up to 49.
On Thursday, Manipur Police arrested 43 illegal immigrants - 19 Myanmerese and 24 Bangladeshi nationals - from Imphal and neighbouring Thoubal district.
“This morning we conducted a crackdown in several areas of Imphal and rounded up 462 people, of whom 57 were taken into police custody for questioning,” a police official said.
Earlier, Manipur Home Minister G. Gaikhangam said the crackdown to detect illegal Bangladeshi and Myanmarese nationals would continue in the state.
“Yesterday’s (Thursday) crackdown against illegal immigrants in Manipur was the beginning. Manipur Police will continue the operation to detect illegal immigrants,” Gaikhangam told IANS.
Cautioning locals not to shelter foreign nationals, the home minister said the government will take action against those who shelter illegal immigrants.
“It is a sensitive issue (illegal immigrants) and the government will not allow any illegal immigrant to settle in Manipur,” Gaikhangam said.
He said that all police stations, especially at the three entry points - Mao Gate (Manipur-Nagaland border), Jiribam (Manipur-Assam) and Moreh (India-Myanmar) - have been put on alert to detect illegal immigrants.
Manipur shares its border with Nagaland to the north, Mizoram to the south and Assam to the west and Myanmar o the east.
Following pressure from civil society groups, the Manipur assembly July 13 adopted a resolution urging the central government to extend the Bengal Eastern Frontier Regulation, 1873, to the state to check the influx of suspected Bangladeshi and Myanmarese nationals.
- Manipur continues to crackdown on illegal immigrants - Aug 31, 2012
- Manipur pushes back 60 suspected Bangladeshis - Sep 02, 2012
- Fear in Manipur after outsiders told to quite state - Sep 07, 2012
- 43 illegal Bangladeshi immigrants detained in Manipur - Aug 30, 2012
- Myanmarese nationals get jail for entering India illegally - Mar 24, 2012
- 30 Myanmarese, Bangladeshis caught in Tripura - Dec 02, 2011
- 12 more Myanmarese held in Tripura - Mar 08, 2012
- 31 Myanmar nationals held in Tripura - Dec 17, 2011
- Meghalaya groups want check on illegal immigrants - Aug 22, 2012
- CPI wants policy on illegal immigrants - Aug 28, 2012
- Crackdown against illegal Myanmar immigrants launched - Sep 19, 2010
- Meghalaya organisations demand permit system for visitors - Sep 03, 2012
- Six Myanmarese held in Tripura, sent to jail - Nov 07, 2011
- Ten Myanmarese nationals held in Tripura - Mar 04, 2011
- Four serial blasts in Manipur, two injured (Lead) - Aug 15, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,