4.5 million houses constructed for poor: ministerMarch 12th, 2008 - 11:26 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, March 12 (IANS) The government Wednesday told parliament that 4,571,595 houses were constructed in the period 2004-07 for people living below poverty line (BPL) under the Indira Awas Yojana (IAY) in rural areas. Minister of State for Rural Development Suryakanta Patil in a written reply in the Rajya Sabha said the construction of houses for the poor during the period was higher than the target set of 4,537,095 units.
According to official estimate, the total housing shortage in the rural areas was estimated at 14,833,000 as of April 1, 2001.
In 2006-07, 1,498,367 houses were constructed under the IAY in 33 states and union territories. Under the scheme, the prospective beneficiaries are given subsidy to construct houses.
Keeping in view the increasing building cost, Finance Minister P. Chidambaram in 2008-09 national budget has proposed to enhance the subsidy per unit for new houses sanctioned after April 1, 2008 from Rs.25,000 to Rs.35,000 in plain areas and Rs.27,500 to Rs.38,500 in hilly areas.
The IAY is a part of the government’s Bharat Nirman programme aimed at upgrading basic infrastructure facilities in the rural areas.
- Bihar uploads clips of corrupt officials - Oct 21, 2011
- Bihar's new tool to fight corruption - YouTube - Aug 26, 2011
- Tripura offers land, housing to poor families - Jul 05, 2012
- PM announces Rs.300 crore relief for Assam victims - Jul 28, 2012
- Will torch myself if not given a home, says poor Dalit - Mar 20, 2010
- 6 Tripura officials jailed for embezzlement - Apr 04, 2012
- 'Bharat Nirman' houses to be doubled: Economic survey - Feb 25, 2010
- Rajasthan to offer houses to urban poor - Aug 09, 2012
- Villagers block road over Bihar family's suicide - Aug 23, 2011
- For every 40 rural households, a welfare scheme volunteer - May 23, 2011
- Andhra tops in schemes for poor, Gujarat slips - Mar 27, 2008
- Bangladesh against fencing at border zero-line: Sarkar - Mar 05, 2012
- 'Extend rural job scheme to urban areas' - Mar 15, 2012
- Food security bill near ready, hike in social sector spending - Feb 28, 2011
- Use incentives to build affordable housing: Minister - Feb 28, 2011
Tags: awas, bharat nirman, bpl, finance minister, hilly areas, housing shortage, indira, infrastructure facilities, minister of state, national budget, new houses, p chidambaram, plain areas, poverty line, rajya sabha, rural areas, rural development, target, union territories, yojana