44 Syrians killed in ‘Friday of freedom’ ralliesMay 21st, 2011 - 9:55 pm ICT by IANS
Damascus, May 21 (IANS) At least 44 Syrians were killed in Friday’s anti-government protests, an Al-Jazeera TV report quoted the national organisation for human rights as saying Saturday, Xinhua reported.
Most of deaths occurred in the provinces of Homs and Idlib, the organisation stated.
According to human rights activists, the security forces have killed 960 citizens so far during the anti-government protests sweeping Syria since mid-March.
On Friday, thousands of anti-government protesters rallied in Syrian cities of Damascus, Homs, Daraa, Banias, al-Boukamal and Idlib to hold what activists have dubbed “Friday of freedom,” said witnesses.
- Syrian president appoints ex-minister to form new government - Apr 03, 2011
- Thousands take to streets in Syria - Apr 01, 2011
- UN chief 'deeply concerned' at Syria situation - Apr 02, 2011
- Six killed in firing on protesters in Syria - Jun 25, 2011
- 19 Syrians killed in protests - Apr 09, 2011
- 25 shot dead in Syria - Apr 26, 2011
- 23 bodies found near Damascus - Sep 07, 2012
- Over 3,000 protesters rally in Syria - May 14, 2011
- Syrian security forces open fire on mourners - Apr 23, 2011
- Syria imposes travel ban on President's cousin - Jun 14, 2011
- Only inclusive dialogue can lead to peace in Syria : UN chief - Apr 27, 2011
- Protests break out in Syrian towns after Friday prayers - May 21, 2011
- Syria 'surprised' by Qatar's call to send Arab troops into the country - Jan 17, 2012
- Lebanese leader denies inciting unrest in Syria - Apr 14, 2011
- Syria frees hundreds of political prisoners - Dec 29, 2011
Tags: al jazeera, al jazeera tv, banias, citizens, damascus, daraa, deaths, homs, human rights activists, mid march, national organisation, protesters, protests, rallies, security forces, syria, syrian cities, syrians, tv report, xinhua