42 percent polling in Jharkhand by-poll (Lead)June 12th, 2012 - 8:42 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, June 12 (IANS) Around 42 percent polling was recorded in Jharkhand’s Hatia assembly by-poll Tuesday, an election commission official said.
“Initial reports say around 42 percent polling took place in the Hatia assembly by-poll. The polling was by and large peaceful,” an election commission official told IANS.
At a few places, EVM machines had to be replaced after they developed technical errors.
Polling began at 8 a.m. and ended at 5 p.m. Twenty-nine candidates were in the fray.
The key contest was between the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), the Congress, the Jharkhand Vikas Morcha-Prajatantrik (JVM-P) and the All Jharkhand Students Union (AJSU). The BJP and AJSU are partners in the ruling alliance in Jharkhand.
The Hatia seat fell vacant after Congress legislator Gopal Nath Sahdeo passed away in 2010. A poll petition had held up the by-election till now.
- Whom to support for Hatia by-poll? JMM to decide May 28 - May 26, 2012
- Jharkhand by-poll Tuesday amid tight security - Jun 11, 2012
- Jharkhand by-poll: AJSU leads; BJP, Congress trail - Jun 15, 2012
- AJSU wins Jharkhand by-poll (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Dhoni casts vote in Jharkhand by-poll - Jun 12, 2012
- Jharkhand's ruling alliance to face each other in Hatia by-poll - May 23, 2012
- Voting under way in Hatia bypoll in Jharkhand - Jun 12, 2012
- Petrol hike hits Congress in Hatia - May 24, 2012
- Police complaint against Jharkhand BJP president - Jul 02, 2011
- Jharkhand ruling alliance bickers over by-poll - Jun 04, 2011
- Marandi seeking Maoist help to win Jamshedpur by-poll: Munda - Jun 30, 2011
- Jharkhand Rajya Sabha polls: Congress, JMM win, BJP loses - May 03, 2012
- Over 60 percent polling in Mandu bypoll - Nov 30, 2011
- JMM eyes Jameshedpur Lok Sabha seat after Munda victory - Feb 18, 2011
- Denied bypoll ticket, Jharkhand Congress leader joins BJP - Jun 06, 2012