4 MNS activists held for gang rape of maidJuly 25th, 2009 - 4:22 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 25 (IANS) Four activists said to belong to Raj Thackeray’s Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) were arrested here Saturday on charges of gang raping a minor girl working as a maid servant, police said.
The four — Ganesh Gatkar, Ganesh Kale, Narendra Salunkhe and Umesh Borade — were produced before a magistrate in Andheri court this afternoon and remanded to police custody till July 28, according to senior police inspector of MIDC police station Pradeep Suryawanshi.
He said that the incident occurred last Sunday around 2 p.m., when the accused kidnapped the girl while she was going home.
They took her to a municipal garden in the neighbourhood and allegedly raped her in the cabin of the security guards there.
The injured victim was allowed to go but not before she was threatened with dire consequences if she opened her mouth.
Suryawanshi said that the victim finally took courage Friday and revealed the incident to her mother, who also works as a maid in the same locality. She brought her daughter to the police station and a complaint was lodged following which the accused were rounded up.
The incident comes barely one month after Bollywood actor Shiney Ahuja was arrested for allegedly raping his domestic help in Andheri West.
Reacting to the incident, MNS vice-president V. Saraswat claimed that this was a conspiracy to defame the party and it could be a case of mistaken identity of two persons bearing similar names.
“However, we are inquiring if they were indeed our party workers. If found to be true, we shall take strict action against them, there is no place for such persons in the MNS,” he told IANS.
MIDC, or Maharashtra Industrial Development Corporation, is a predominantly industrial locality in north-west Mumbai’s Andheri suburb.
Several residential complexes have mushroomed there, especially after the Jogeshwari-Vikhroli Link Road — a critical link between the eastern and western suburbs — opened a couple of years ago.
A group of MNS workers gathered outside the police station and some blurred out the names of the suspects from a party hoarding nearby.
However, the workers did not create any obstacles in police work, Suryawanshi said.
- Shiney Ahuja's maid now claims rape never took place (Second Lead) - Sep 08, 2010
- Bollywood director-producer nabbed for raping aspiring actress - Jul 26, 2009
- Shiney Ahuja's maid now claims rape never took place (Lead) - Sep 08, 2010
- I wish Shiney all the strength: Farhan Akhtar - Mar 31, 2011
- Bombay HC grants actor Shiny Ahuja bail in rape case - Apr 27, 2011
- Shiney Ahuja's maid now claims rape never took place - Sep 08, 2010
- Two killed in post-poll violence across Maharashtra - Feb 20, 2012
- Maid Says Shiney Did Not Rape Her - Sep 09, 2010
- Judiciary should not target actors blatantly: Arshad Warsi - Mar 31, 2011
- Mumbai's dabbawalas now want to be civic fathers - Dec 05, 2011
- Salman, Farhan speak up for actor Shiney Ahuja (Lead) - Mar 31, 2011
- TV actress beats, burns little maid for eating - Aug 22, 2009
- Shiney Ahuja jailed for 7 years for raping maid (Lead) - Mar 30, 2011
- I hope Shiney will be declared innocent: Salman Khan - Mar 31, 2011
- Need regulator to monitor placement agencies: Court (Lead) - Jan 09, 2012
Tags: case of mistaken identity, court this afternoon, critical link, domestic help, ganesh, gang rape, kale, magistrate, maharashtra navnirman sena, maid servant, mns, police inspector, pradeep, residential complexes, saraswat, security guards, strict action, thackeray, umesh, western suburbs