37 Jharkhand MLAs face criminal cases, 19 are multi-millionairesDecember 25th, 2009 - 6:26 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, Dec 25 (IANS) Nearly half of the 81 newly-elected legislators in Jharkhand have criminal cases registered against them, while 19 of them are “crorepatis” (multi-millionaires), official documents show.
As per Election Commission records, 37 legislators face criminal cases. The highest number of legislators with cases against them are from the Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) at 10.
The JMM is followed by the Congress, with seven of 14 legislators with criminal records.
The Jharkhand Vikas Morcha-Prajatantrik (JVM-P) has six legislators with criminal records, while four of five All Jharkhand Students Union (AJSU) members face criminal charges.
Four of the 18 Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) members of the state assembly also have cases against them.
Two former ministers - Enos Ekka and Harinarayan Rai - who are in jail for amassing wealth disproportionate to their income also won.
Two other ex-ministers, Bandhu Tirkey and Nalin Soren, who also face corruption charges, have also been elected.
Meanwhile, 19 newly-elected legislators have declared assets more than Rs.1 crore.
The highest number of multi-millionaires are from the JMM (6), followed by the Congress (5) and the RJD (2). The BJP, the AJSU and the JVM-P have one each.
Multi-millionaire legislators include Geeta Koda, wife of former chief minister Madhu Koda in jail on money-laundering charges, and Ekka and Rai.
- Congress, JVM-P mull government formation without JMM - Dec 25, 2009
- Jailed legislators helped Congress: BJP - May 03, 2012
- Congress, JMM candidates win Jharkhand Rajya Sabha polls - Jun 17, 2010
- Shibu Soren to decide JMM's stand on presidential poll - Jun 24, 2012
- BJP backtracks, votes for JMM candidate - Mar 30, 2012
- Jharkhand Rajya Sabha polls: Congress, JMM win, BJP loses - May 03, 2012
- Jharkhand assembly session begins - Jan 04, 2010
- Independents cut to size in Jharkhand - Dec 27, 2009
- Jharkhand Rajya Sabha poll underway, JVM-P stays away - May 03, 2012
- 42 percent polling in Jharkhand by-poll (Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- With RS horse trading reports, Jharkhand in news for wrong reasons - Mar 31, 2012
- Jharkhand's ruling alliance to face each other in Hatia by-poll - May 23, 2012
- Jharkhand's Rajya Sabha poll could leave Munda shaky - May 01, 2012
- CBI takes over Koda scam probe - Aug 12, 2010
- Several jailed and tainted ex ministers in Jharkhand poll fray - Nov 15, 2009
Tags: bharatiya janata party, chief minister, corruption charges, criminal charges, dec 25, ekka, election commission, jharkhand, jmm, jvm, legislators, millionaires, money laundering charges, nalin, rjd, rs 1, soren, state assembly, students union, tirkey