32 MPs’ cases referred to privileges panelMay 1st, 2008 - 8:59 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, May 1 (IANS) A day after the code of conduct for Lok Sabha MPs was tabled in the house, Speaker Somnath Chatterjee referred cases of disorderly conduct by 32 members - mostly from the opposition - to its privileges committee. The list of MPs include Brajesh Pathak, Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) MP from Unnao, Uttar Pradesh, who ironically is a member of the privileges committee. Others include Shahnawaz Hussain, Kiran Maheshwari, P. S. Gadhavi, M. A. Kharabela Swain and Kishan Singh Sangwan (all Bharatiya Janata Party) and Tathagatha Satpathy (Biju Janata Dal).
Also figuring on the list are Chandrakant Khaire, Kalpana Ramesh Narhire (both Shiv Sena), and Rattan Singh Ajnala and Sukhdeo Singh Libra (both SAD).
The move to refer the cases of these 32 MPs came as no surprise as Chatterjee had shown his displeasure at the falling standards of conduct of members in the lower house. Protests, slogan shouting, defying the chair and walking into the well of the house have become frequent.
The privileges committee consists of 15 members. It examines, investigates and reports all the cases of breach of privilege by the members. The speaker or the house decides what matters are to be referred to the privileges committee. The committee also makes suggestions on the action that it deems should be taken. The speaker can either take action or ask that the report be tabled in the House.
- Speaker withdraws privilege notice on MLAs following NDA protest - May 05, 2008
- NDA to protest softly against Speakers decision on 32 MPs - May 05, 2008
- Bangladesh speaker, MPs to pay income tax - Nov 28, 2011
- Lok Sabha condemns Team Anna's derogatory remarks (Fourth Lead) - Mar 27, 2012
- Lok Sabha condemns Team Anna's derogatory remarks (Third Lead) - Mar 27, 2012
- Lok Sabha condemns Team Anna's derogatory remarks (Second Lead) - Mar 27, 2012
- Kejriwal renews attack on 'criminal' MPs (Lead) - Mar 30, 2012
- Virbhadra Singh threatens to sue Kejriwal - Apr 01, 2012
- Police officer apologises to Meghalaya assembly panel chairman - Dec 20, 2011
- Anti-graft Lokpal bill in Lok Sabha Thursday - Aug 03, 2011
- PM stands by his defence on cash for votes scam (Lead) - Mar 23, 2011
- Meira Kumar applauds Myanmar parliament's new look - Jul 05, 2012
- Honour killing: Two lovers killed in Punjab - May 21, 2011
- Akalis to move privilege motion against UPA government - Feb 12, 2010
- Speaker seeks home ministry report on Mulayam's house arrest - Mar 15, 2011
Tags: bharatiya janata party, disorderly conduct, displeasure, house speaker, kishan singh, Lok Sabha, maheshwari, mps, New Delhi, pathak, privileges committee, protests, ramesh, rattan, shiv sena, slogan, somnath chatterjee, standards of conduct, swain, uttar pradesh