3,000 arrested in BangladeshMarch 10th, 2012 - 7:49 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, March 10 (IANS) Over 3,000 people have been arrested till Saturday from all over Bangladesh ahead of a rally planned for March 12 by the opposition Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP), a media report said.
Sources told the Daily Star that police and Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) personnel arrested at least 3,616 people.
BNP leaders alleged that police have been conducting mass arrests of their party men across the country to foil the rally.
The activists were arrested in Dhaka, Rajshahi, Rangpur, Chittagong, Khulna, Barisal and Sylhet.
However, Monirul Islam, spokesman for the Dhaka Metropolitan Police, denied any mass arrests.
He said police have intensified drives to arrest illegal arms holders, drug peddlers and extortionists ahead of three events in the country — Asia Cup that is scheduled to start March 11, the BNP rally March 12 and a rally of the ruling Awami League 14-party alliance March 14.
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina Saturday said she was worried of any “mayhem” during the BNP rally.
“I am worried what kind of mayhem she (Khaleda Zia) might create during the rally,” Hasina was quoted as saying.
The prime minister said her government was worried how to ensure “security to the lives and properties of people”.
- One dead in Bangladesh clash - Jan 30, 2012
- Dhaka wears deserted look ahead of opposition rally - Mar 12, 2012
- Opposition steps up stir against Bangladeshi PM - Feb 07, 2011
- 8,000 sued over Bangladesh clash - Apr 24, 2012
- Bangladesh opposition holds mass rally (Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- Nationwide arrest of Islamist activists, students in Bangladesh - Feb 13, 2010
- Islamist activists, students arrested in Bangladesh (Lead) - Feb 13, 2010
- Khaleda Zia's son, 29 others indicted in 2004 bombing - Mar 18, 2012
- Bangladesh's Left to launch anti-government stir - May 22, 2010
- Bangladesh opposition to stage countrywide rallies - Jul 26, 2011
- Hasina decries opposition's strike call - Nov 28, 2010
- Bangladesh opposition stages mass hunger strike - May 21, 2012
- Declare wealth, Bangladesh PM told - Apr 10, 2012
- BNP protests court indictment of Ziaur Rahman - Mar 24, 2011
- Bangladesh opposition observes Farakka Day - May 16, 2011
Tags: asia cup, bangladesh nationalist party, barisal, battalion, daily star, dhaka, drug peddlers, illegal arms, islam spokesman, khaleda zia, march 11, mass arrests, mayhem, metropolitan police, minister sheikh hasina, party alliance, party men, rajshahi, rally march, rapid action