2G note: BJP dismisses Pranab’s clarificationSeptember 29th, 2011 - 9:03 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 29 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Thursday dismissed as “untenable” Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee’s explanation that the controversial note from his ministry on the 2G scam did not reflect his views.
BJP leader Ravi Shankar Prasad said the finance minister did not answer the main question about loot of public money. He accused Home Minister P. Chidambaram and Mukherjee of being busy in their “ego battle”.
“It is not your internal matter or ego battle to be settled, you are accused, your role needs to be investigated,” Prasad said.
“The country will not believe this completely untenable clarification of Pranab Mukherjee, which is more the result of ego battle of the ministers than a quest for public probity,” he said.
Prasad said that the statement only “deepened the crisis” by revealing nothing and the government stood “exposed before the public of the country”.
He also defended the BJP-led National Democratic Alliance (NDA) government.
“The contention by Mukherjee that they followed the cabinet decision of the NDA government is equally untenable and baseless,” Prasad said.
“That decision stated that spectrum pricing and license must be determined in consultation with the finance ministry, which means a transparent mechanism. The moot question as raised by the officers of the finance ministry is why should spectrum and licensing be allocated in 2007-08 at 2001 price,” he said.
Prasad said the note, which was prepared in consultation with the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO), the cabinet secretariat, the law ministry, telecom ministry and the finance ministry, held Chidambaram responsible.
“Had Chidambaram taken preemptive and prohibitive steps, the 2G scam could have been avoided,” he added.
The March 25 note to the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) from the finance ministry said that the airwaves could have been auctioned in 2008 if Chidambaram, who was then the finance minister, had “stuck to his stand”.
- Truce, says UPA as Pranab, Chidambaram close ranks - Sep 29, 2011
- JPC gets into 2G saga, PM backs Chidambaram - Sep 28, 2011
- Political war of words hots up over Chidambaram - Sep 25, 2011
- Opposition asks PM to probe into note on Chidambaram - Sep 22, 2011
- Mukherjee-Chidambaram patch up comical, says BJP - Sep 30, 2011
- Congress defends Chidambaram, BJP wants his ouster (Roundup) - Sep 24, 2011
- Opposition's sack Chidambaram chorus rises - Sep 23, 2011
- Pranab rubbishes reports of offering to quit - Oct 02, 2011
- No differences in cabinet, says Antony - Sep 27, 2011
- 2G note: Pranab meets PM, Sonia - Nov 02, 2011
- Bansal, Narayanswamy meet Pranab on 2G issue - Sep 29, 2011
- BJP says 'culpability' of Chidambaram evident in 2G - Sep 23, 2011
- 2G note: Government firefights, Pranab to clarify (Second Lead) - Sep 29, 2011
- PM, Pranab call up Chidambaram on 2G note - Sep 22, 2011
- Explain differences between ministers on 2G, BJP demands - Oct 03, 2011
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bjp, cabinet decision, cabinet secretariat, controversial note, finance minister, finance ministry, home minister, internal matter, law ministry, loot, moot question, national democratic alliance, p chidambaram, pranab mukherjee, prasad, probity, public money, ravi shankar, telecom ministry