28 die in Yemen weapons depot blastMay 26th, 2011 - 7:52 pm ICT by IANS
Sana’a, May 26 (IANS) Twenty-eight rebel tribesmen were killed in a blast at a weapons depot during overnight clashes with the security forces in the Yemeni capital, Xinhua reported.
President Ali Abdullah Saleh has ordered the arrest of the dissident tribal leader Sadiq al-Ahmar over the gun battle.
The defence ministry said Thursday that 28 tribesmen guarding an arms storage that belonged to al-Ahmar and his brothers, were killed in a blast at the facility.
The ministry said the “arms storage contained a large quantity of small and heavy weapons, including rocket-propelled grenades, missiles and shells, which were used in attacking residents and occupying government buildings”.
It said the government forces destroyed the opposition satellite TV station Suhail in Hassaba district in downtown Sana’a, where non-stop clashes continued Thursday. An opposition member told Xinhua that at least 79 of al-Ahmar’s fighters were killed during the overnight clashes.
The ministry said Thursday that President Saleh has ordered the arrest of Sadiq al-Ahmar, who is the chieftain of the powerful tribal coalition Hashed.
- Yemeni government, armed tribesmen agree on ceasefire - May 29, 2011
- Five explosions heard in ceasefire area in Sana'a - May 28, 2011
- Saleh says he is 'in good health' after mosque attack - Jun 04, 2011
- 17 killed in clashes at Yemen's interior ministry - Aug 01, 2012
- Yemeni tribes not to join protest - Feb 27, 2011
- Saleh sacks defected military commander in Yemen - Mar 28, 2011
- Over 50 killed as clashes between Yemeni security forces and tribal rebels continue - May 25, 2011
- Yemen's top army generals join protesters - Mar 21, 2011
- Qatar temporarily closes embassy in Yemen: Report - May 27, 2011
- Yemen opposition insists Saleh quit, president digs in - Mar 22, 2011
- Saleh's family preventing vice-president from taking full power - Jun 06, 2011
- Al Qaeda releases 73 Yemeni soldiers - Apr 28, 2012
- US asks embassy officials in Yemen to evacuate - May 26, 2011
- Mortar shells hit Yemeni Air Force Base, destroying two fighter jets - Oct 31, 2011
- Three top Yemen generals join opposition against President Saleh - Mar 22, 2011
Tags: al ahmar, ali abdullah saleh, chieftain, clashes, defence ministry, government buildings, gun battle, opposition member, president ali abdullah saleh, president saleh, rocket propelled grenades, satellite tv, security forces, suhail, tribal coalition, tribal leader, tribesmen, tv station, xinhua, yemeni capital