Patil congratulates women for shaping destiny of countryMarch 7th, 2008 - 4:29 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, March 7 (IANS) Indian women were transforming the “social order into a more just and equal one”, President Pratibha Patil said Friday as she greeted women a day ahead of International Women’s Day. India’s first woman president said successful women should assist in eliminating social evils like female foeticide, infanticide and dowry system and educate the underprivileged girl child.
“On the occasion of International Women’s Day, I extend my greetings and felicitations to all my sisters in their continuing role and their relentless effort in shaping the destiny of our country,” she said in her message.
International Women’s Day, which will be observed Saturday, is a global celebration for the economic, political and social achievements of women.
Highlighting the role of the women in the freedom movement, Patil said: “Our women folk inspired by Mahatma Gandhi came out of their homes to take part in the freedom struggle.”
“Beginning with their determined efforts in the days before our freedom, today our women continue to strive to transform the social order into a more just and equal one.”
She said women continue to make their mark but should help in removing social evils from the country.
“Now, many gifted women are making their mark in their chosen professions and each one of them can assist in eliminating social evils like female foeticide, infanticide, dowry etc.
“They should come forward and help to educate the hapless underprivileged girl child. The empowerment of women is the most effective tool for development as well as poverty alleviation.”
- Patil's goodbye wish: A 'corruption-free India' - Jul 24, 2012
- Improve India's sex ratio, says president - Mar 17, 2011
- Need to correct gender discrimination: Patil - Jan 25, 2012
- Need to fight bias against girl child: President - Aug 14, 2011
- President concerned over declining sex ratio - Jan 14, 2012
- President calls for social movement for gender equality - Apr 09, 2011
- Patil calls for continued efforts for women empowerment - Nov 19, 2010
- Shun violence, join mainstream: President Patil to Maoists - Jun 24, 2011
- President greets nation ahead of International Women's Day - Mar 07, 2008
- Falling child sex ratio is national shame: PM - Apr 21, 2011
- Honour for women delivering girl child - Aug 09, 2012
- President Patil lauds Bihar Govt. for spreading education - Mar 22, 2011
- Discrimination with girl child sad: Meira Kumar - Feb 01, 2012
- Severely punish culprits of female foeticide: Aamir - Jul 11, 2012
- New campaign to spread awareness against dowry - Nov 25, 2009
Tags: dowry system, equal one, felicitations, first woman, freedom movement, freedom struggle, gifted women, girl child, global celebration, indian women, infanticide, international women, mahatma gandhi, poverty alleviation, president pratibha patil, relentless effort, social achievements, social evils, successful women, woman president