25 shot dead in SyriaApril 26th, 2011 - 2:18 am ICT by IANS
Damascus, April 26 (IANS) At least 25 Syrians were shot dead by security forces Monday in Daraa town, 100 km from capital Damascus, Xinhua cited Al-Jazeera TV in a report.
Hundreds of military soldiers and other security forces backed with tanks and armoured vehicles entered the town Monday morning from four directions. The telecommunication and electricity were cut, said a witness.
At least 10 soldiers were killed in an ambush set by an armed group when army soldiers were entering the town to impose stability.
Meanwhile, a Jordanian senior official said that Syria closed two main border crossings at Daraa and Nassib on the Syrian side, following the deployment of Syrian army tanks in Daraa.
The statement, however, was declined by the Syrian interior ministry, as it told Xinhua that the border crossings with all Syria’s neighbouring states were open as the transit traffic to and from the country is normal.
US President Barack Obama’s administration has slammed the Syrian authorities’ crackdown on citizens, saying it was considering a range of options against the Damascus, including possible sanctions on senior officials.
Syria is witnessing unprecedented protests that erupted five weeks ago in Daraa and spread to other parts of the country, causing the death of some 340 so far, said human rights reports.
- 44 Syrians killed in 'Friday of freedom' rallies - May 21, 2011
- Only inclusive dialogue can lead to peace in Syria : UN chief - Apr 27, 2011
- Six killed in firing on protesters in Syria - Jun 25, 2011
- Morocco,UAE embassies in Syria attacked - Nov 17, 2011
- 19 Syrians killed in protests - Apr 09, 2011
- Seven killed in Syria protests - Mar 21, 2011
- Thousands take to streets in Syria - Apr 01, 2011
- 78 soldiers killed in Syria in six weeks - Apr 29, 2011
- At least 55 killed in Syria pro-democracy violence - Mar 26, 2011
- UN observers pelted with stones in Syria - May 12, 2012
- 12 killed in Syria clashes - Mar 23, 2011
- Two 'terrorists', 27 others killed in Syria blasts (Lead) - Mar 17, 2012
- 23 bodies found near Damascus - Sep 07, 2012
- Syrian envoy to Iraq defects - Jul 13, 2012
- 48 Iranian pilgrims abducted in Syria - Aug 04, 2012
Tags: al jazeera, al jazeera tv, armed group, armoured vehicles, army soldiers, army tanks, barack obama, border crossings, damascus, four directions, interior ministry, military soldiers, neighbouring states, senior officials, syrian army, syrian authorities, syrian side, syrians, transit traffic, xinhua