238 charged for violence during Bihar panchayat pollsMay 5th, 2011 - 2:41 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, May 5 (IANS) Chargesheets against 238 people, including 62 candidates, have been filed for their involvement in violent activities in the five rounds so far of the 10-phased Bihar panchayat polls, police said Thursday.
The five rounds have passed off quite peacefully, barring the first two rounds which saw the death of a policeman and a woman at the hands of Maoists.
“Last month itself I had made it clear that police will file chargesheets against troublemakers found indulging in violence during polls within a week, and they will be prosecuted under speedy trial,” Bihar Police Chief Neelmani said.
Nearly 2.75 lakh people, whom the police term as ‘troublemakers and habitual offenders’, have signed bonds promising not to disrupt the polling process, a police officer said.
Last month, the state election commission made it clear that if a candidate is attacked or intimidated during the polls, his rival will be named in the police report.
The commission said that all the district magistrates and superintendents of police have been directed to lodge first information reports (FIRs) against people involved in violence or intimidation of candidates during the election.
The 10-phased panchayat polls began April 20 and will end May 28.
Elections in Bihar were once notorious for violence and booth capturing. In the 1999 Lok Sabha polls, 74 people were killed in poll-related violence. About 20 people were killed in the 2004 general elections and 158 during the 2001 panchayat elections
- Bihar holds second phase of panchayat polls - Apr 24, 2011
- Seventh round of Bihar panchayat polls continues peacefully (Lead) - May 09, 2011
- 'Miscreants' promise not to disrupt Bihar panchayat polls - Apr 11, 2011
- Bomb blast mars Bihar panchayat polls (Lead) - Apr 20, 2011
- Tenth round of Bihar panchayat polls under way - May 18, 2011
- Sporadic violence mars Bihar's panchayat polls (Lead) - Apr 24, 2011
- Poll panel warns against influencing vote counting in Bihar - May 21, 2011
- Bihar holds fourth phase of panchayat polls - Apr 30, 2011
- Sporadic violence mars Bihar second phase polls (Second Lead) - Apr 24, 2011
- Maoists kill two officials during Bihar panchayat polls - May 15, 2011
- Third phase of Bihar panchayat polls proceeds peacefully - Apr 27, 2011
- 56 percent turnout in fourth phase of Bihar panchayat polls (Lead) - Apr 30, 2011
- Bihar panchayat polls' ninth phase marred by Maoist violence (Lead) - May 15, 2011
- Police officer's killing mars Bihar panchayat polls (Second Lead) - Apr 20, 2011
- Bihar panchayat polls see 60 percent turnout (Lead) - Apr 27, 2011
Tags: bonds, chargesheets, district magistrates, general elections, habitual offenders, intimidation, Lok Sabha, maoists, panchayat elections, police chief, police officer, police report, police said thursday, policeman, polls, speedy trial, state election commission, troublemakers, violence, violent activities