1984 riots: Badal seeks NHRC intervention for speedy trialsNovember 4th, 2009 - 10:33 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi/Chandigarh, Nov 4 (IANS) Punjab’s Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal Wednesday sought the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) intervention for the speedy trial of cases against Congress leaders Sajjan Kumar and Jagdish Tytler, accused in the 1984 anti-Sikh riots.
A delegation of the Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD), led by the party president, met the NHRC chairman Justice (retd) G.P.Mathur in New Delhi.
“We urged the commission to ask the central government to speed up the trial of criminal cases against the accused in compliance of the recommendations of the Nanavati Commission,” Sukhbir Singh Badal said in Chandigarh.
“The most shocking part is that the government and the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) are working hand in glove and making mockery of justice in the country,” he said.
“The deliberate delay by the CBI in filing charge sheets against Sajjan Kumar is highly intolerable,” he added.
“It is a matter of great concern that even after the struggle of 25 years, the families of the 1984 riot victims are still fighting for justice. We appeal to the people having faith in different religions to stand by the families of victims of the 1984 Sikh carnage on Nov 8,” Badal said.
- Court allows Sajjan Kumar's plea in 1984 riots case - Aug 03, 2012
- Akali Dal approaches Human Rights Commission on 1984 anti-Sikh riots cases - Nov 05, 2009
- Akalis to raise 1984-riot victims' case in parliament - Nov 11, 2009
- 1984 riots: No stay on Sajjan Kumar's trial - Jul 03, 2012
- 1984 riots: Sajjan Kumar's plea dismissed - Jun 02, 2012
- Court allows Sajjan Kumar's plea in 1984 riots case (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- Named in riots case after 16 years: Sajjan Kumar - Aug 14, 2012
- Supreme Court suspends Sajjan Kumar trial in '84 riots case - Jul 11, 2012
- 1984 riots: Court seeks CBI reply on Sajjan Kumar's plea - Jun 13, 2012
- Sajjan Kumar accuses CBI of playing fraud - May 19, 2012
- 1984 riots: Court rejects Sajjan Kumar's plea (Lead) - Jun 02, 2012
- Only three witnesses deposed against me: Sajjan Kumar - Aug 22, 2012
- Sikhs protest to demand Rajoana's release - Mar 28, 2012
- Rivals implicated me in 1984 riots case: Sajjan Kumar - Aug 14, 2012
- Akali Dal, SGPC oppose Tytler in Olympics delegation - Jul 09, 2012
Tags: anti sikh riots, cbi, central bureau of investigation, chandigarh, charge sheets, congress leaders, deputy chief minister, different religions, hand in glove, having faith, human rights commission, jagdish tytler, mathur, mockery of justice, nanavati commission, national human rights commission, nhrc, party president, speedy trial, sukhbir singh badal