1984 anti-Sikh riots victims criticise CongressNovember 24th, 2008 - 9:11 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 24 (IANS) Anti-Sikh riot victims Monday criticised the Congress for fielding former police officer Amod Kanth to contest the Delhi assembly election. Kanth is accused of helping the 1984 rioters.”The Congress first helped leaders such as Jagdish Tytler, Sajjan Kumar and H.K.L. Bhagat by giving them senior positions, and to make it worse it has now given a ticket to Amod Kanth,” head of 1984 anti-Sikh riots victims’ welfare society Surjit Singh told reporters here.
He said Kanth, who has been given a ticket from Sangam Vihar assembly constituency, is accused of openly helping rioters during 1984 anti-Sikh riots. Also, his name is included in the list of accused officers in the Nanavati Commission report.
“What does the Congress want to convey by giving tickets to such candidates?” he questioned.
Singh said on the one hand Rahul Gandhi is giving statements that 1984 riots were wrong while on the other hand he is quiet on this kind of decision.
“We want that the Delhi government takes all steps for rehabilitation of riot victims but it is not possible during the Congress rule. That is why we appeal to punish the Congress and dethrone them,” he said.
The 1984 anti-Sikh riots victims’ welfare society also announced support to Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) in the elections.
Elections in Delhi are scheduled to take place Nov 29.
- 1984 Sikh victims vote in large numbers after long - Nov 29, 2008
- CBI clean chit to Tytler timed with polls in mind, say angry Sikhs - Apr 02, 2009
- Akali Dal, SGPC oppose Tytler in Olympics delegation - Jul 09, 2012
- Court seeks government's response on plea against Amod Kanth (Lead) - Jun 03, 2011
- Court rejects plea to withdraw Amod Kanth's medals - Apr 07, 2011
- Don't close riots case probe against Tytler, court told - Feb 16, 2012
- Don't close riots case probe against Tytler, court told (Lead) - Feb 16, 2012
- Court questions government on plea against Amod Kanth - Jun 03, 2011
- Tytler given clean chit in 1984 anti-Sikh riots case - Apr 27, 2010
- Only three witnesses deposed against me: Sajjan Kumar - Aug 22, 2012
- US-based Sikh wants to depose against Tytler - Jan 25, 2012
- Sikhs demand death sentence for Sajjan Kumar, Jagdish Tytler - May 05, 2010
- 1984 anti-Sikh riots: CBI seeks dismissal of case against Tytler - Jul 24, 2010
- Named in riots case after 16 years: Sajjan Kumar - Aug 14, 2012
- Rivals implicated me in 1984 riots case: Sajjan Kumar - Aug 14, 2012