1984 anti-Sikh riots: Accused man’s statement recordedJuly 6th, 2011 - 8:48 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 6 (IANS) A Delhi court Wednesday started recording statements of six people accused in a 1984 anti-Sikh riots case in which former Congress MP Sajjan Kumar has also been booked.
Additional Sessions Judge Sunita Gupta recorded the statement of former councillor Balwan Khokhar, one of the six accused. He said he was not present at the spot where a mob killed five Sikhs in Delhi Cantonment Nov 1, 1984.
Balwan Khokhar, who was asked several questions by the judge, gave very short answers.
After recording his statement in an hour-long hearing, the court decided to continue the hearing Thursday.
According to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), the accused instigated a mob in Delhi Cantonment to kill Sikhs following the assassination of the then prime minister Indira Gandhi by her Sikh bodyguards at her 1, Akbar Road residence in New Delhi Oct 31, 1984.
The CBI has so far examined 16 witnesses in the case. The prosecution completed tendering its evidence June 9. Three witnesses deposed against Sajjan Kumar and identified him in the court.
Besides Balwan Khokhar and Sajjan Kumar, the other accused in the case are — Krishan Khokhar, Mahender Yadav, Captain Bhagmal and Girdhari Lal.
The court May 28 last year, framed charges against all the six accused under penal provisions relating to murder, dacoity, conspiracy, promoting enmity between two communities, mischief by fire or explosives, and house trespass.
Charges under provisions for abetment were also framed against Sajjan Kumar.
During the 1984 communal riots, hundreds of Sikh community members were massacred in Delhi and other cities in a backlash against the community after Indira Gandhi’s assassination.
- Sajjan Kumar to give evidence to defend self in riots case - Jul 19, 2011
- 1984 anti-Sikh riots: Court records Sajjan Kumar's statement - Jul 18, 2011
- Court frames charges against Sajjan Kumar in 1984 riots - May 28, 2010
- 1984 riots: Court to frame murder charges against Sajjan Kumar May 24 - May 19, 2010
- 1984 riots case against Sajjan: Final arguments from March 16 - Feb 13, 2012
- No relief to Sajjan Kumar from high court (Lead) - Aug 20, 2010
- Charges against Sajjan Kumar to be framed May 19 - May 18, 2010
- Framing of charges against Sajjan Kumar May 18 (Lead) - May 15, 2010
- Apex court stays anti-Sikh riots case against Sajjan - Aug 13, 2010
- Frame charges against Sajjan Kumar for 1984 riots: Court - May 15, 2010
- Murder charges framed against Sajjan in anti-sikh riots case (Lead) - May 28, 2010
- 1984 riots: Order on Sajjan Kumar charges May 15 - May 04, 2010
- Court dismisses Sajjan Kumar's plea for documents - Apr 22, 2010
- Sajjan Kumar seeks documents from CBI in riots case - Apr 05, 2010
- 1984 riots accused contests CBI court's jurisdiction - Mar 30, 2010
Tags: akbar, anti sikh riots, bodyguards, cbi, central bureau of investigation, communal riots, councillor, delhi cantonment, delhi court, enmity, indira gandhi, khokhar, lal, penal provisions, prime minister indira, sajjan kumar, sikhs, sunita, three witnesses, yadav