194 nonagenarians to cast vote in Himachal bypollsNovember 28th, 2011 - 7:30 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Nov 28 (IANS) More than 190 nonagenarians are eligible to vote in the Himachal Pradesh assembly bypolls slated for Nov 30, an official said here Monday.
As many as 194 electors aged 90 or more will exercise their franchise in the Nalagarh and Renuka constituencies, Chief Electoral Officer Narinder Chauhan said in a statement.
He said the Nalagarh constituency of Solan district has 112 nonagenarian electors, while the remaining are in the Renuka assembly in Sirmaur district.
The byelections have been necessitated by the death of legislators H.N. Saini (Nalagarh) and Prem Singh (Renuka).
The main contest is between the Congress and Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
In the 2007 assembly elections, the Congress had won the Renuka (reserved) seat, while the BJP got the Nalagarh seat.
The Congress has fielded Prem Singh’s son Vinay Kumar from Renuka against BJP’s Hirday Ram.
From Nalagarh BJP’s candidate is Gurnam Kaur, wife of the late Saini, while Lakhwinder Rana is the Congress nominee.
Except Rana, the other candidates are political greenhorns.
For the BJP which is going to complete four years in power next month, the stakes are high in the bypolls, especially in Renuka, which has traditionally been a Congress bastion.
Political observers said the election outcome would be an indication of the popularity of the BJP ahead of the 2012 assembly elections.
The counting of votes will be held Dec 4.
- BJP wrests Congress bastion in Himachal, loses another - Dec 04, 2011
- Congress wins two bypolls, BJP drubbed in Karnataka (Roundup) - Dec 04, 2011
- Over 72 percent turnout for Himachal by-polls - Nov 30, 2011
- Millions vote in by-polls in six states (Roundup) - Nov 30, 2011
- Congress legislator from Himachal dies - Sep 23, 2011
- Bypolls for two Himachal constituencies Nov 30 - Nov 01, 2011
- Congress alleges voter bribery - Nov 25, 2011
- Haryana bypolls campaigning ends, voting Wednesday - Nov 28, 2011
- Himachal legislator dead - Jun 24, 2011
- BJP wins Jabera by-poll in Madhya Pradesh - Jun 29, 2011
- BJP giving cash to voters in Himachal, complains Congress - Nov 26, 2011
- It was BJP versus BJP in Himachal assembly - Mar 15, 2011
- Nearly 79 percent polling in Haryana bypolls - Nov 30, 2011
- After Hisar defeat, uphill task for Hooda in by-polls - Nov 07, 2011
- Dhumal keeps date with fair, for long tenure - Nov 06, 2011
Tags: assembly elections, bastion, bharatiya janata party, bjp, chief electoral officer, constituencies, constituency, election outcome, electors, greenhorns, himachal pradesh, legislators, nalagarh, nonagenarians, political observers, prem, rana, renuka, saini, vinay kumar