18 students held after clashes in Himachal collegeJuly 25th, 2008 - 10:53 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, July 25 (IANS) Eighteen students of a college in Himachal Pradesh were arrested Friday for clashing on the campus, police said. They were later let off on bail. The students were booked Thursday after violence was reported in the Government Postgraduate College in Solan, Superintendent of Police S.P.S. Verma told IANS. Solan is 45 km from Shimla.
Those held belonged to organisations like the Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP), the student wing of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP); the Congress’ National Students Union of India (NSUI) and the Left-backed Students Federation of India (SFI).
Trouble started Wednesday when a minor skirmish took place between members of the ABVP and the SFI. On Thursday, the ABVP demanded a boycott of classes to protest the previous clash but NSUI activists objected to this, leading to fresh clashes between the two groups. Four students were injured in the row.
- Shutdown in Himachal varsity, students miss classes - Aug 13, 2012
- Delhi University goes to poll Friday amidst tight security - Sep 02, 2010
- Four students hurt in Himachal varsity clash - Jul 07, 2010
- Delhi University all set for polls Friday - Sep 13, 2012
- Polling begins in Delhi University and JNU - Sep 14, 2012
- 10 injured in student-police clash in Bhopal - Mar 31, 2011
- JNU painted Red as AISA sweeps polls (Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- Tighten security for DU polls, says Delhi BJP - Sep 12, 2012
- Anna helps ABVP defeat NSUI in Delhi varsity polls - Sep 10, 2011
- ABVP repeats 2002 performance, tops Delhi University polls (Lead) - Sep 04, 2010
- Delhi University students march against corruption - Jul 27, 2011
- Student's clash: Congress calls strike in Tripura - May 22, 2011
- Delhi University election results announced - Sep 10, 2011
- Beef festival turns Osmania into battlefied, student stabbed - Apr 16, 2012
- Delhi Police identifies Radhika Tanwar's killer - Mar 11, 2011
Tags: abvp, activists, akhil, bharatiya janata party, boycott, campus police, clash, clashes, congress, four students, India, minor skirmish, national students, nsui, postgraduate college, sfi, students union, superintendent, violence