16,000 arrested in Tamil Nadu on poll eveMay 12th, 2009 - 8:54 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, May 12 (IANS) Over 16,000 people were arrested in Tamil Nadu on the eve of the final phase of Lok Sabha polls to ensure peaceful voting in the state, police said Tuesday.
“Warrants were pending against most of the arrested 16,000 persons,” a police statement said.
“More than 21,000 licensed guns have been kept in safe custody and police are conducting regular search operations in hotels, lodges and farmhouses while quarries and godowns stocking explosives are also under vigil,” the statement said.
Unaccounted explosives in quarries and warehouses and 306 compact discs containing “objectionable materials” were also seized.
During the hectic electioneering, 7,341 cases were filed against members of various political parties for violating the poll code.
At least 170 people were injured in various political clashes, the statement added.
Over 100,000 security personnel, including paramilitary forces, have been deployed to guard over 51,000 polling stations Wednesday.
There are 823 candidates in fray for 39 parliamentary seats from Tamil Nadu.
- West Bengal to set up Kisan Mandis - Mar 27, 2012
- Explosion in illicit gas cylinders warehouse in Maharashtra - Jan 17, 2012
- Karunanidhi flays poll panel - Mar 22, 2011
- Will put off Tamil Nadu poll if bribes continue: EC - Apr 11, 2011
- Tax officials attacked during raid in Punjab - Jan 28, 2011
- Stop distribution of TV sets: EC tells Karunanidhi Govt. - Mar 02, 2011
- Blast at Colombian airport - Nov 04, 2010
- DMK candidates list out March 16, manifesto March 19 - Mar 14, 2011
- Bogus voters will be jailed and cash seized, warns poll panel - Apr 05, 2011
- Alagiri warns of legal action against Tamil Nadu minister - Aug 18, 2011
- Cash for votes: Tamil Nadu panel warns of putting off polls - Apr 12, 2011
- Rs.10 million in cash seized from cars - Mar 14, 2011
- 'Singham' screening resumes in Karnataka - Jul 23, 2011
- Campaigning ends in Tamil Nadu, Puducherry - Apr 11, 2011
- Seize black money in Bengal like in Tamil Nadu: Karat - Apr 21, 2011
Tags: chennai, compact discs, electioneering, explosives, farmhouses, final phase, lok sabha polls, objectionable materials, paramilitary forces, parliamentary seats, police statement, political clashes, poll code, polling stations, quarries, search operations, security personnel, state police, vigil, warehouses