16 BSP nominees in Uttar Pradesh have criminal pastMarch 24th, 2009 - 5:37 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, March 24 (IANS) At least 16 of the 80 Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) Lok Sabha candidates in Uttar Pradesh have a criminal past, says the National Election Watch, a voluntary body opposed to criminalisation of politics.
According to its study, 13 of the BSP’s 16 tainted nominees were involved in heinous offences like murder, attempt to murder, extortion and kidnapping.
“Election Watch proposes to make country-wide appeals to voters to say ‘no’ to all such people irrespective of their party affiliation,” I.C. Dwivedi, the Election Watch’s Uttar Pradesh chapter chief, pointed out.
Anil Bairwal, the Association for Democratic Reforms representative and Election Watch coordinator in the state, released a list of people with criminal records who have been named as candidates by the BSP.
D.P. Yadav, fielded from Sambhal, tops the list along with Mukhtar Ansari (Varanasi). While Yadav’s name spells terror in parts of western Uttar Pradesh, with his sons facing charges in the murder of Nitish Katara, Ansari was once convicted by a court for indulging in alleged terrorist activities. Ansari is also a murder accused.
Among the BSP’s other tainted nominees are Akbar Ahmad ‘Dumpy’ (Azamgarh), S.P. Singh Baghel (Firozabad), Qadir Rana (Muzaffarnagar), Vinay Shakya (Mainpuri), Islam Sabir Ansari (Barielly), Swami Prasad Maurya (Kushinagar), Rizwan Zaheer (Shravasti), Ram Kumar (Hardoi), Girish Chandra (Kaushambhi), Rakesh Pandey (Ambedkar Nagar), Mohammad Tahir (Sultanpur), Afzal Ansari (Ghazipur), Kunwar Shivraj Singh (Aonla) and Aruna Shankar Shukla ‘Anna’ (Unnao).
- 'Prohibited bore guns given to 18 MPs booked for crimes' - Aug 02, 2012
- Crime, money power shadow Uttar Pradesh polls - Feb 03, 2012
- 31 percent of UP third-phase candidates have criminal cases - Feb 14, 2012
- All eyes on Lucknow in fourth phase of UP polls - Feb 18, 2012
- Dimple Yadav elected to Lok Sabha unopposed (Second Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- Brisk polling on in Uttar Pradesh (Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Elections 2012: UP poll battle begins Wednesday - Feb 06, 2012
- 'Criminal charges against 9 percent MCD poll nominees' - Apr 10, 2012
- Tainted, billionaire candidates on rise in seventh phase - Feb 24, 2012
- Differences in NDA over ex-BSP man Kushwaha - Jan 04, 2012
- Mulayam, Mayawati neglected Muslims, development: Rahul Gandhi - Jan 28, 2012
- A third of presidential electoral college tainted - Jul 12, 2012
- Nominations for fourth phase begin in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 25, 2012
- BSP man killed as violence continues in UP despite appeals - Mar 10, 2012
- UP polls: 20 percent turnout in four hours (Second Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
Tags: afzal, ambedkar, azamgarh, bahujan samaj party, bahujan samaj party bsp, chapter chief, d p yadav, firozabad, ghazipur, hardoi, kunwar, kushinagar, Lok Sabha, murder attempt, muzaffarnagar, party affiliation, ram kumar, shakya, sultanpur, voluntary body