146 candidates for first phase polls in West BengalApril 9th, 2009 - 10:01 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, April 9 (IANS) A total of 146 candidates filed their papers for 14 of the 42 Lok Sabha seats in West Bengal, as nominations for the first phase of elections in the state closed Thursday.
BJP heavyweight Jaswant Singh, contesting from Darjeeling, was among the 26 candidates who entered the fray during the day.
Purulia has the maximum number of candidates, 16, followed by Darjeeling - 14.
Bidhnupur in Bankura has the least number of nominees - seven.
Among those trying their luck for the 14 seats are state Congress president Subrata Mukherjee from Bankura, Congress leader Priya Ranjan Dasmunsi’s wife Deepa from Raiganj, and Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) leader in the outgoing Lok Sabha Basudeb Acharya.
West Bengal will have three-phase polling, beginning April 30. The second phase May 7 will cover 17 constituencies, while the remaining 11 seats go to the hustings May 13.
- Nine women in fray for first phase West Bengal polls - Apr 13, 2009
- Nominations for West Bengal Lok Sabha seats begin - Apr 02, 2009
- First phase polls under high security in West Bengal (Poll Curtainraiser - West Bengal) - Apr 29, 2009
- Polling begins in West Bengal amid tight security - Apr 30, 2009
- West Bengal polls enter fifth phase Saturday - May 06, 2011
- Key contests in round three of Election 2009 - Apr 29, 2009
- Deepa Dasmunshi files nomination from Raiganj - Apr 07, 2009
- Six-time poll loser hopes for a lucky seven - Apr 05, 2011
- Brisk polling in fifth round of Bengal elections (Third Lead) - May 07, 2011
- Brisk voting in fifth round of Bengal polls (Fourth Lead) - May 07, 2011
- Poll process begins in Bengal's six districts Thursday - Mar 23, 2011
- Peaceful voting in Bengal's Maoist-hit districts (Second Lead) - May 07, 2011
- Voting under way for fifth round of Bengal polls (Lead) - May 07, 2011
- 83 percent votes cast in Bengal fifth phase (Roundup) - May 07, 2011
- Left fort collapses in West Bengal (Second Lead) - May 16, 2009
Tags: acharya, bankura, bjp, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, congress leader, congress president, CPI, deepa, hustings, jaswant singh, kolkata, lok sabha seats, priya ranjan, purulia, raiganj, second phase, state congress, subrata mukherjee, west bengal