14 get jail terms for Kandhamal riotsNovember 20th, 2010 - 9:50 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Nov 20 (IANS) A fast track court in Orissa Saturday sentenced 14 people to three years of rigorous imprisonment for their involvement in the communal riots in Kandhamal district of the state in 2008.
Judge C.R. Das of the fast track court No. 2 at district headquarters of Phulbani sentenced seven people to three years’ rigorous imprisonment and a fine of Rs.4,500 each for burning down houses in Budamaha village, under Raikia police station, a defence lawyer told IANS.
The judge also sentenced seven others to three years of rigorous imprisonments and a fine of Rs.6,500 each for burning houses in Sindherigaon village, under Baliguda police station area, he said.
However, six people were acquitted of charges of burning houses at Sudeli village under G. Udayagiri police station.
Kandhamal, about 200 km from Bhubaneswar, witnessed widespread violence after the murder of Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) leader Swami Laxmanananda Saraswati and four of his aides in his ashram Aug 23, 2008.
At least 38 people were killed and more than 25,000 Christians were forced to flee their homes after their houses were attacked by mobs, who accused Christians for killing Saraswati, although police had blamed the Maoists for the ashram killings.
The state government set up two fast track courts in the district for speedy trial of the cases.
- 15 get three-year jail in Kandhamal riots case - Sep 30, 2010
- Kandhamal riots: Jail term for 13 - May 18, 2011
- BJP lawmaker gets jail for murder in Kandhamal riots - Sep 09, 2010
- Nine people sent to jail for burning houses in Kandhamal - Dec 27, 2010
- Eight get jail terms for Kandhamal violence - Nov 26, 2010
- Kandhamal riots case: Man gets three-year jail term - Sep 29, 2010
- Nine convicted, five acquitted in Kandhamal riots case - Nov 18, 2009
- Kandhamal riots case: 15 get three-year jail term - Sep 30, 2010
- 8 get three-year jail in Kandhamal riots case - Sep 25, 2010
- Two get six-year jail in Kandhamal riots case - Jun 30, 2010
- BJP lawmaker gets seven-year jail for Kandhamal murder (Lead) - Jun 29, 2010
- BJP lawmaker gets seven-year jail for Kandhamal murder - Jun 29, 2010
- Court records statement of nun raped in Kandhamal clashes - Nov 03, 2010
- BJP legislator acquitted in a Kandhamal riots case - Oct 30, 2009
- BJP legislator surrenders after apex court rejects bail - Mar 09, 2011
Tags: aides, ashram, christians, communal riots, defence lawyer, district headquarters, fast track, jail terms, killings, maoists, mobs, orissa, police station, rigorous imprisonment, rs 6, saraswati, speedy trial, state government, swami, vishwa hindu parishad