128 people killed, 6,000 cattle dead in Assam floodsAugust 8th, 2012 - 8:48 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 8 (IANS) Besides the 128 human lives lost in the floods in Assam, over 6,000 cattle perished while 4.5 lakh houses were destroyed and more than 3,000 km of roads damaged, it was stated Wednesday.
Minister of State for Home Mullappally Ramachandran, answering questions in the Rajya Sabha on the Assam floods, said that 1,252 bridges, culverts and wooden bridges were also washed away and 11.50 km of embankments were damaged.
He said following the visit by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to Assam, the central government released Rs.500 crore to the state government for undertaking relief measures.
An inter-ministerial central team also visited the affected areas July 10-12 for on-the-spot assessment of damages caused by the floods. “The report of the team is being processed for placing before an inter-ministerial group and high level committee for consideration,” he said in a written answer.
To a question whether the central government has announced a package for the flood-hit areas and for rehabilitation of the displaced people, Ramachandran said: “It is required to be undertaken by the concerned state government from its own resources/plan funds.”
The money released by the government is for relief to help the people start their economic activities again and not for compensation of loss, he said in answer to another question.
- PM announces Rs.500 crore flood aid for Uttarakhand - Sep 22, 2010
- Prime Minister announces interim flood relief assistance for Uttarakhand - Sep 22, 2010
- Assam floods: Death toll reaches 100, 16 missing - Jul 05, 2012
- Rain fury in north India, rivers in spate (Roundup) - Sep 23, 2010
- Odisha seeks funds for flood hit areas - Dec 03, 2011
- Himachal seeks Rs.1,793.37 crore - Nov 10, 2010
- Flood alert in Assam, 75,000 displaced - Jul 19, 2011
- Central team to assess Cyclone Thane's impact - Jan 06, 2012
- Assam demands Rs.3,460 crore for repairing embankments - Jul 09, 2012
- PM announces Rs.500 crore for flood-hit Assam (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- Brahmaputra crosses danger mark, Assam flood situation critical - Sep 14, 2010
- Nine lakh displaced in Assam flood havoc - Aug 24, 2011
- Assam flood situation worsens, toll rises to 18 - Jun 28, 2012
- 1.5 million affected in Bihar floods - Aug 22, 2011
- Flood situation improves in Haryana's Sirsa, grim in Mansa in Punjab (Roundup) - Jul 15, 2010
Tags: answering questions, assam floods, cattle, central government, crore, economic activities, flood, floods in assam, manmohan, manmohan singh, minister of state, ministerial group, New Delhi, own resources, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rajya sabha, state government, undertaking, wooden bridges