127-year-old man rides up to vote in HimachalMay 13th, 2009 - 3:03 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, May 13 (IANS) Bhadaru, a 127-year-old man who is the oldest voter in Himachal Pradesh, rode a horse to the polling station to exercised his franchise Wednesday, an official said.
“Bhadaru voted at the polling station number 35 in the Kasumpti constituency that comes under the Shimla parliamentary constituency,” state’s chief electoral officer Anil Khachi told IANS.
The polling station was four km from Bhadaru’s house and he travelled on horseback to cast his vote.
He apparently didn’t like reporters’ queries about his age. “Why are you asking me again and again about my age? I am not getting (old age) pension. I don’t know why it stopped and when. The Congress government was good in administration.”
He refused to reveal who he voted for in this election but said he had “voted for Jawaharlal Nehru in the first election (1952)”.
As per electoral rolls, 2,003 voters in Himachal Pradesh are above 90, of which 800 have crossed 100.
From the Shimla constituency, Virender Kashyap of the state’s ruling Bharatiya Janata Party is pitted against the sitting MP, Dhani Ram Shandil of the Congress.
- Bhadaru, 127, determined to vote (With Image) - May 03, 2009
- Over 72 percent turnout for Himachal by-polls - Nov 30, 2011
- Himachal BJP seeks resignation of Congress leader Shandil - Jul 14, 2012
- Himachal Pradesh sees over 58 percent polling (Roundup) - May 14, 2009
- Moderate to heavy polling in Himachal (Third Lead) - Nov 07, 2009
- Polling begins in Himachal Pradesh - Nov 07, 2009
- 31 in poll fray from Himachal Pradesh - Apr 27, 2009
- Polling starts in Himachal Pradesh - May 13, 2009
- Vote 2009: Climb every mountain, cross every stream - May 14, 2009
- 35 percent polling in Himachal by early afternoon (Second Lead) - May 13, 2009
- Himachal sees 13 percent polling in first three hours (Lead) - May 13, 2009
- People who set electoral ball rolling in free India (With Image) - Mar 31, 2009
- Special ballot papers for blind in Himachal Pradesh - Apr 26, 2009
- 55 percent polling in Himachal (Third Lead) - May 13, 2009
- Elections at a glance - Dec 24, 2011
Tags: chief electoral officer, congress government, dhani, electoral rolls, franchise, jawaharlal nehru, kashyap, mp, number 35, old age pension, old man, parliamentary constituency, polling station, queries, shimla