122 candidates file nominations for GTA pollsJuly 10th, 2012 - 12:02 am ICT by IANS
Darjeeling, July 9 (IANS) A total of 122 candidates have filed nominations for the July 29 election to the 45-member Gorkhaland Territorial Administration (GTA), the new body for governing the Darjeeling hills in northern West Bengal, officials said.
A total of 63 nominations were filed on Monday, the last day of filing nominations, the authorities said.
The Gorkha Janmukti Morcha is contesting all the seats. The state’s ruling Trinamool Congress has put up candidates in 18 seats.
The GJM candidates are the only contestants in nine seats in Darjeeling sub-division and three in Kalimpong.
The last date for withdrawal of nomination is July 12.
The three picturesque Darjeeling hill subdivisions of Darjeeling, Kurseyong and Kalimpong have been on the boil for nearly three decades due to anti-government protests over the demand for a separate state of Gorkhaland. The hills had witnessed killings, police crackdowns and long shutdowns which severely impacted the hills’ economic mainstays - tea, timber and tourism.
On July 18 last year, a tripartite agreement was signed between the GJM, and the state and central governments for setting up a new autonomous,e lected GTA, a hill council armed with more powers than its predecessor, the Darjeeling Gorkha Hill Council (DGHC) formed in the late 1980s.
- GJM candidates only ones in fray in about half of GTA seats - Jul 12, 2012
- All CPI-M candidates pull out of Gorkhaland polls - Jul 12, 2012
- GJM to take part in GTA polls, Mamata happy (Lead) - Jul 01, 2012
- GJM faces heat from rival parties for strong-arm tactics - Jul 07, 2012
- GJM to take part in GTA polls - Jun 30, 2012
- Decision on territorial polls Saturday, says GJM - Jun 28, 2012
- GJM to boycott Rajya Sabha polls - Mar 18, 2012
- Polls to new Gorkhaland civic body July 29 - Jun 25, 2012
- GJM threatens to renew Gorkhaland demand - Feb 09, 2012
- Upset over panel report, GJM threatens to renew agitation (Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- Upset over panel report, GJM threatens to renew agitation (Second Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- GJM wins absolute majority in GTA polls - Jul 13, 2012
- GTA members sworn in; Shinde, Mamata assure support - Aug 04, 2012
- GJM sweeps maiden GTA polls, not to give up Gorkhaland demand - Aug 02, 2012
- Mamata withdraws Trinamool candidates from GTA polls - Jul 21, 2012
Tags: 1980s, authorities, boil, central governments, darjeeling hills, gjm, killings, last date, nomination, polls, predecessor, protests, shutdowns, tea, territorial administration, three decades, tourism, trinamool congress, tripartite agreement, west bengal