12 million Latinos to vote in US pollsSeptember 13th, 2012 - 10:43 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Sep 13 (IANS) Around 12 million Latinos - people with Latin American ancestry - are expected to exercise their legal right to vote in the Nov 6 US presidential elections, the Prensa Latina news agency reported.
According to the La Raza National Council (NCLR) of the US, there are around 21 million Latinos in the US. There has been an increase of two million Latino voters since the 2008 polls.
NCLR, the largest Hispanic organisation in the US, launched a campaign “Mobilized to Vote (M2V)” in several states to promote Latino participation in the elections.
It also aimed at drawing attention on key issues like housing, work and health, among others.
The M2V campaign attracted probable voters in California, Colorado, Florida, Idaho, Nevada, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Texas and Nevada.
Clarissa Martinez de Castro, the group’s Civic Involvement and Immigration Director, said the Latino vote has the power to affect national politics, and called on the community to be informed and cast their vote on election day.
A latest report says 70 percent Latinos support Obama’s re-election while 22 percent wish to vote for Republican Mitt Romney.
Prensa Latina said the Obama administration has deported near 1.2 million migrants, mostly Latinos, over the past three years.
Over 50 million Latinos make up the largest such community after Mexico, and stands for 16 percent of the US population.
- Latinos still back Obama over Republicans - Dec 29, 2011
- Latino voters sticking with Obama, Democrats: Poll - Dec 29, 2011
- Romney scores decisive win in Illinois primary - Mar 21, 2012
- Romney thumps Gingrich, regains momentum - Feb 01, 2012
- Romney coasts to second victory in a row - Feb 05, 2012
- Obama has 5 point lead over Romney: Poll - Sep 10, 2012
- Talent young illegal immigrants can stay in US: Obama - Jun 16, 2012
- Crucial primaries await Republican front-runners - Feb 28, 2012
- Democrats woo middle class, say Romney out of touch - Sep 05, 2012
- Front-runner Romney wins Republican primary in Illinois - Mar 21, 2012
Tags: 50 million, american ancestry, civic involvement, clarissa, colorado florida, election day, la raza, latin american, latino vote, latino voters, latinos, m2v, migrants, mitt romney, national politics, nclr, prensa latina news, presidential elections, two million, us population