12 killed in Libya blastsMarch 5th, 2011 - 9:43 am ICT by IANS
Tripoli, March 5 (IANS) At least 12 people were killed and 26 injured in two blasts at a weapon depot near Libya’s western city of Benghazi, Xinhua said, citing an Al Jazeera TV report.
The Libyan government said that the blasts that took place Friday were not caused by bombing of the security forces, without confirming the toll in the blasts.
The internet services were completely cut off Friday, after a few days of partially- functioning services, Xinhua said.
Contradictory information about the clashes in Libya came from official and rebel sources.
An official source said that fighting between the security forces and anti-government forces was still going on in Benghazi and Zawiyah, while a source with the anti- government protesters said that they have controlled the two cities.
Anti-government protesters inspired by the successful uprisings in Tunisia and Egypt are demanding the ouster of Libyan leader Muammer Gaddafi who has ruled the country for 41 years. Over 1,000 people have been killed in the demonstrations that erupted Feb 14.
- Gaddafi's forces recapture Misurata - Mar 17, 2011
- Arab world simmers; Gaddafi's son warns of rivers of blood (Intro Roundup) - Feb 21, 2011
- Air strikes continue as Gaddafi sees foreigners hands in protests (Lead) - Mar 09, 2011
- Libyan minister resigns over crackdown on protesters - Feb 21, 2011
- Fighting engulfs Libya as Gaddafi offers bounty for opposition leader (Lead) - Mar 10, 2011
- Libyan soldiers 'executed' for refusing to fire at protesters - Mar 08, 2011
- Scores killed as unrest spreads in Arab world (Roundup) - Feb 19, 2011
- Gaddafi forces launch airstrikes on Ajdabiya - Mar 15, 2011
- Libya bloodshed: Defiant Gaddafi says he is in Tripoli (Lead) - Feb 22, 2011
- Libyan unrest toll tops 100 after mourners shot dead (Lead) - Feb 20, 2011
- International pressure builds on Gaddafi to quit - Mar 01, 2011
- Protesters gear up for massive rally in Libya (Lead) - Feb 17, 2011
- Arab world simmers; Gaddafi's son warns of rivers of blood (Roundup) - Feb 21, 2011
- Al Qaeda backs Libya unrest amid genocide reports (Roundup) - Feb 24, 2011
- Clashes continue as Gaddafi vows to recapture Misurata (Lead) - Mar 18, 2011
Tags: al jazeera, al jazeera tv, benghazi, blasts, clashes, feb 14, gaddafi, government forces, libyan government, libyan leader, muammer, ouster, protesters, rebel sources, security forces, tripoli, tv report, uprisings, xinhua, zawiyah