12-15 percent voting in Orissa in first two hours (Lead)April 23rd, 2009 - 12:40 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, April 23 (IANS) Up to 15 percent turnout was reported Thursday in Orissa in the first two hours of the second and final phase of polling in 11 Lok Sabha and 77 assembly seats Thursday, officials said.
Said Additional Chief Electoral Officer Bhabagrahi Mohapatra: “The polling is going on peacefully.”
Mohapatra said there were some complaints of malfunctioning of electronic voting machines (EVMs) but these were sorted out.
An electorate of more than 14.5 million, including about seven million women, will decide the fate of 84 candidates contesting the Lok Sabha polls and 688 in the fray in the assembly elections.
The twin election is crucial for Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik, who has ended his alliance with the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and seeks to return to power in the state on his own.
Prominent among the BJP candidates contesting the Lok Sabha elections in the second phase are M.A. Kharabela Swain (Balasore), Ananta Nayak (Keonjhar) and Braja Kishore Tripathy (Puri).
Tripathy had resigned from the ruling Biju Janata Dal (BJD) after being denied nomination and joined the BJP.
From the Congress, former central minister Srikanta Jena is contesting from Balasore and Ranjib Biswal from Kendrapada.
Among the key BJD candidates are industrialist-turned-Rajya Sabha member Baijayant Jay Panda (Kendrapada), Tathagat Satpathy (Dhenkanal) and Pinaki Mishra (Puri).
- Final phase of polling begins in Orissa - Apr 23, 2009
- Polling in Orissa more than 60 percent despite scorching heat (Second Lead) - Apr 23, 2009
- Keen contest for last phase of polls in Orissa (Poll curtainraiser - Orissa) - Apr 22, 2009
- Turncoats in demand as parties scramble for candidates - Apr 10, 2009
- Turncoats in demand as parties scramble for candidates (Reissuing with correction in paragraph 13th) - Apr 10, 2009
- Key contests on Thursday - Apr 22, 2009
- BJP to abstain from Rajya Sabha poll in Orissa - Jun 06, 2010
- Sangma's daughter skips NCP meet - Jun 21, 2012
- Sonia to host lunch for UPA, supporting parties before presidential poll - Jul 13, 2012
- Orissa's BJD denies ticket to former minister - Apr 02, 2009
- NDA reviews vice presidential poll strategy - Jul 24, 2012
- BJD wins in Odisha - Mar 21, 2012
- BJP rules out poll pact with BJD - Oct 31, 2011
- BJD to abstain in vice-presidential poll - Aug 05, 2012
- President's poll: BJP core committee to meet Monday (Lead) - Jun 18, 2012
Tags: ananta, assembly elections, assembly seats, bharatiya janata party, biswal, bjd, bjp, braja, chief electoral officer, electronic voting machines, evms, final phase, industrialist, kishore, lok sabha elections, lok sabha polls, mishra, naveen patnaik, rajya sabha member, tripathy