116-year-old man votes in Russian pollsMarch 5th, 2012 - 6:06 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, March 5 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Probably the oldest in Russia to do so, a 116-year-old man cast his vote for the presidential elections Sunday at a polling station in Ingushetia in Russia’s North Caucasus.
Iliyev Appas Lorsovich, born in 1896, came to polling station No. 6 in the village of Guli, said Muslim Albogachiyev, a member of the regional election commission.
The elderly and sick have the right to vote at home if they invite a member of the local election commission beforehand. However, retirees are usually the first ones to arrive at the polling stations when they open at 8 a.m.
Russians voted Sunday to elect a president for the fifth time in the nation’s post-Soviet history. Prime Minister Vladimir Putin is facing four opponents.
- Five die of heart attack during Russian polls - Mar 05, 2012
- Russians head for polls to elect new president (Lead) - Mar 04, 2012
- Ice swimmers vote semi-naked in Russia's Siberia - Mar 05, 2012
- Russians head for polls to elect new president - Mar 04, 2012
- Putin votes in parliament polls - Dec 04, 2011
- Over 380,000 policemen for Russia's election day - Mar 04, 2012
- 600,000 Russians to watch presidential poll online - Mar 03, 2012
- Russian election chief wants transparent ballot boxes - Dec 23, 2011
- 100 detained at Moscow rally - Mar 06, 2012
- Russia votes for parliament, a test of Putin's leadership - Dec 04, 2011
- Putin proposes Medvedev as prime minister - May 07, 2012
- Russia votes as Putin seeks Kremlin return (Second Lead) - Mar 04, 2012
- Suicide bomber kills seven at funeral - Aug 19, 2012
- Russian election commission declares Putin winner - Mar 08, 2012
- Putin nominated for 2012 presidential polls - Nov 27, 2011
Tags: election commission, fifth time, ingushetia, moscow, muslim, north caucasus, old man, opponents, polling station, polling stations, polls, presidential elections, prime minister, regional election, ria novosti, russia, russians, soviet history, vladimir putin, vote