Indian artist crafts tribute in sand to ObamaNovember 5th, 2008 - 3:17 pm ICT by IANS
Puri (Orissa), Nov 5 (IANS) As the United States Wednesday elected Barack Obama as its 44th president, across the seas in India’s eastern Orissa state artist Sudarsan Patnaik busied himself crafting a four feet sand image of the first African American in the White House. Patnaik used three tonnes of sand to pay tribute to Obama in Puri, 56 km from the state capital Bhubaneswar. He also created a colourful image of the US national flag with the message, ‘Congratulations’.
Hundreds of tourists thronged the beach to see the sand sculpture by Patnaik and his students.
Patnaik has participated in over 37 international sand sculpture championships across the globe and won many awards.
- Sandy tribute to Japan tsunami victims (With Images) - Mar 12, 2011
- Sand artist creates image on earth quake - Sep 20, 2011
- Huge sand cake for birthday boy Sachin (With Image) - Apr 23, 2011
- Sand image on beach in Hazare's support - Aug 13, 2011
- A huge sand cake for Sachin! - Apr 22, 2011
- Sand image of goddess Durga to highlight global warming (With Images) - Sep 23, 2009
- Indian sand artist wins prize in Denmark (With Image) - Sep 05, 2012
- Sandy tribute to Michael Jackson on Orissa beach (With Image) - Jun 26, 2009
- Indian sand artist wins gold in Spain (With Image) - Jul 18, 2012
- Sand image on Orissa beach to congratulate Obama (With Images) - Oct 10, 2009
- Now, sand artist Sudarsan Patnaik makes images on polls (With image) - Apr 20, 2009
- Sand sculpture in Orissa for Obama - Nov 04, 2010
- Sculptor Sudarsan creates Obama's image on sand - Jan 20, 2009
- Sudarsan aims new record with sand Santa on Christmas eve - Dec 24, 2010
- Indian sand artist selected for Moscow championship - Apr 15, 2011