100 Congress workers held during protest against MayawatiJune 17th, 2009 - 9:39 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, June 17 (IANS) Police here Wednesday resorted to baton charge and detained over 100 Congress party workers who were protesting against Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati’s alleged derogatory remarks against Mahatma Gandhi.
The police action came when about 400 Congress workers were marching to the state assembly from the party’s headquarters.
“We used the force to prevent them from becoming unruly. On several occasions, they have tried to disrupt the traffic movement,” N.K. Srivastava, deputy inspector general of police in Lucknow, told reporters.
No one was seriously injured in the incident, he added.
Congress state unit spokesman Subodh Srivastava told IANS: “Nearly 20 of our party workers were injured.”
Addressing a meeting of parliament members and legislators of her Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) here Saturday, Mayawati reportedly called the Father of the Nation a “natakbaaz” (fake).
She also distributed pamphlets condemning both Mahatma Gandhi and Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi for being allegedly insincere about the improvement in the Dalits’ socio-economic status.
- Mayawati faces flak over remarks on Mahatma Gandhi - Jun 15, 2009
- Congress asks Mayawati to apologise for remarks on Gandhi - Jun 17, 2009
- Hundreds detained as Congress takes on Mayawati government (Second Lead) - May 12, 2011
- Rita Bahuguna's plea sent to high court chief justice - Nov 08, 2011
- Clashes as Congress takes on Mayawati government (Lead) - May 12, 2011
- Mayawati inaugurates 'dream project', says Congress ignored Dalit icons (Roundup) - Oct 14, 2011
- BJP on ventilator in Uttar Pradesh: Rahul Gandhi - Nov 25, 2011
- Congress workers clash with UP Police during Rahul Gandhi's visit - Feb 07, 2011
- Youth Congress activists baton-charged in Lucknow - Aug 08, 2011
- Maya attacks Akhilesh for changing names of eight districts (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Rahul gives oust Mayawati call, she hits back (Second Lead) - Nov 25, 2011
- Mayawati ignores common man, promotes corrupt: Rahul - Feb 15, 2012
- Rahul Gandhi figures prominently in Mayawati's speech (Lead) - Nov 27, 2011
- Maya's olive branch to Congress on Uttarakhand - Mar 12, 2012
- BSP calls Congress anti-Dalit - Oct 16, 2011
Tags: bahujan samaj party, chief minister, congress party, congress workers, deputy inspector general, derogatory remarks, general secretary, legislators, lucknow, mahatma gandhi, Mayawati, pamphlets, parliament members, police action, rahul gandhi, socio economic status, spokesman, srivastava, state assembly, traffic movement