100 Bajrang Dal activists held during Surat shutdownJune 15th, 2009 - 5:51 pm ICT by IANS
Surat, June 15 (IANS) Police arrested nearly 100 activists of the right wing Bajrang Dal as they went around this Gujarat city trying to enforce a day-long shutdown protesting the gang rape of a teenager by three men. All business establishments remained open despite the shutdown call, police said Monday.
“No violence had been reported from any part of the city till (Monday) afternoon and the ‘bandh’ (shutdown) was a total failure. The state government has made massive security arrangements to prevent any untoward incident. All the business establishments functioned normally in the city,” a police official said.
The Bajrang Dal activists during the morning tried to force closure of shops and business establishments in Varaccha Road locality - the hub of diamond trading activity.
The official said police have arrested about 100 Bajrang Dal activists and also the Rashtriya Savayamsevak Sangh (RSS) chief in Surat Suresh Master. Some activists of the Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) were also held, he added.
- Students, parents stage silent protest march in Surat (Lead) - Jun 15, 2009
- Protests against MNIK fizzle out in Gujarat (Lead) - Feb 12, 2010
- Bajrang Dal slams Rahul for equating RSS with SIMI - Oct 06, 2010
- 'Bajrang Dal leader falsely linked to headless corpse' - Feb 05, 2011
- Hindu groups call bandh to protest priests' killing - Sep 04, 2010
- Hyderabad shutdown hits normal life - Sep 30, 2011
- Jammu observes shutdown against police action - Mar 17, 2012
- Multiplexes in Gujarat not to screen Shahrukh's film - Feb 12, 2010
- Congress betrayed Muslims: Mayawati - Dec 18, 2011
- VHP disrupts India, Pakistan joint I-Day celebrations - Aug 14, 2012
- Partial shutdown in Andhra after Jagan's arrest - May 28, 2012
- ABVP workers hurl eggs at Mirwaiz's vehicle in Kolkata - Nov 28, 2010
- Protests mark Valentine's Day in Andhra Pradesh - Feb 14, 2012
- BJP raps government on Amarnath Yatra decision - May 16, 2012
- Differences sharpen between Amarnath board, religious groups - May 12, 2012
Tags: activists, bajrang dal, business establishments, closure, diamond trading, gang rape, gujarat, hub, locality, monday afternoon, police official, right wing, security arrangements, state government, teenager, three men, untoward incident, vhp, violence, vishwa hindu parishad