Woman taken to court for stealing a pumpkinFebruary 20th, 2012 - 8:34 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
New Mexico, Feb 20 (THAINDIAN NEWS) A woman in New Mexico has been dragged to court for stealing a $2 pumpkin from a store. The woman’s sister maintains that she forgot and it was not intentional.
23-year-old Lauren Medina is scheduled to appear before a jury on Tuesday. Officials say the incident happened in October 2011 at the McCall’s Pumpkin Patch in Moriarty. Prosecutors decided to go ahead with the charges after investigation into the incident.
Medina’s sister Annette Atencio has come to her defense. She revealed that on the fateful that, Medina spent about $75 and still had mother to pay for the pumpkin. Atencio explained that Medina took out money to pay for the pumpkin but was not allowed to do so.
Instead, Atencio revealed, she was arrested for stealing the pumpkin. Medina has been charged with theft and she pleaded not guilty at her initial appearance. She will appear before Moriarity Magistrate Judge Steve Jones on Tuesday.
Antencio said Medina was given the opportunity to plead guilty in a plea bargain that would have ensured that she only got probation. She however declined to take that option and decided to fight the case in its full course.
- French woman held for stealing handbag - Aug 22, 2012
- Lindsay Lohan due back in court, twice in the span of a week - Feb 23, 2011
- Actress Lindsay Lohan back in court for her progress hearing - Jul 22, 2011
- Lindsay Lohan might be looking at some more jail time - Feb 24, 2011
- Judge bans sex offender from one-night stands - Jul 14, 2012
- Hilton to avoid jail by pleading guilty - Sep 19, 2010
- Is LiLo considering plea deal in theft case? - Mar 05, 2011
- Lohan to plead not guilty in theft case - May 01, 2011
- Lindsay Lohan released on bail - Apr 23, 2011
- Socialite Paris Hilton offered plea deal in her drug bust - Sep 18, 2010
- LiLo will serve jail time if she pleads guilty in grand theft case, says judge - Feb 24, 2011
- Charlie Sheen's ex-goddess Bree Olson pleads guilty in DUI charge - Apr 27, 2011
- Celebrity beauty salon owner pleads guilty to cheating - Jan 23, 2011
- Judge warns Lindsay Lohan: 'Don't push your luck' - Feb 10, 2011
- Women punished for stealing from weddings - Nov 29, 2011