Woman Mistakes Glue For Eye drops In Arizona

October 9th, 2010 - 9:03 pm ICT by GD  

By Gina Gomez,
eye-gluedOct 9, (THAINDIAN NEWS) A woman in Arizona mistakenly glued her eyes shut when she put glue in her eyes instead of the eye drop she was supposed to use. Irmgard Holm, had undergone a cataract surgery last year and has to use many types of eye drops. Unfortunately for her, the glue bottle and her eye drop look identical. She realized there was something wrong when the super glue touched her eye and she felt a burning sensation. She attempted to wash out the glue but true to its nature the glue had done its job, and closed her eye shut.

Medical professionals though were able to prevent some serious damage, they managed to remove the glue from her eyes. They had to cut the hardened glue to get her eye open after which they washed it out to prevent major damage. It seems that the lady is not alone in having experienced this goof-up, as accidental eye gluing has been recognized as a serious problem since 1982. The bottles are very much identical and many people make the same mistake as Irmgard Holm.

Dr. Thomas Stokkermans, an ophthalmologist at University Hospitals Case Medical Center, said that in cases of eye being glued shut, he normally cuts the eyelashes and that suffices. He said that the eye shuts because the eyelashes are stuck together. The doctor further said that apart from the concerned person losing their eyelashes and having some skin irritation, there are no lasting effects. Moreover an article on the said problem shows that the issue of the identical bottles is not necessarily the main cause in a majority of the cases.

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in Odd news |

Subscribe